1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Alleva Coppolo vs. Low End vs. Other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Mar 23, 2014.

Alleva vs. LE vs Other

1. Alleva Coppolo (LM5 probably)

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. LEJ

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Other (Jazz bass, or versatile enough to get Jazz tone)

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

I'm itching to check out some higher-end basses, and I think I'm leaning towards getting something in the Fender Jazz mode (and possibly making a move to 5-string). What do folks think?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    A 2012 or newer Fender American Deluxe 5er is a great bass and $1600-1700 new and $1200-1300 used. Really nice basses. As good or better than a Sadowsky Metro IME.

I have only played a couple of ACs, but for $5k I would pass and buy an actual 60's Fender.

Other options might be MBasses (getting pricy though), Nordy, Valenti and Mike Lull. My next Jazz 5er will likely be a Valenti or possibly back to a Fender Deluxe.

4. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

yeah, i'm curious about looking into a nicer Fender as well; at the moment my go-to Jazz is a MIM Fender. it plays pretty well, but I'm hankering after something new and interesting.

preferably with 24 frets, a fast neck, active/passive options, and under 10 lb

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joel406

joel406

I have owned my share of high end and custom built instruments. I found they were nothing more then short term savings accounts. My money was tied up in 5 or 6 basses that neither performed nor sounded better than an off the wall Jazz or Ric. After liquidating all the fat(recouping enough funds to buy a house. Literally!) I settled into the wonderful world of non boutique interments that allowed me to customize them to my liking without the waiting that you get from ordering from the likes of Fodera. I will never own another "custom" Bass again. Why should I? Fender isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I've got a LoPrinzi JJ5 on order

8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    If you want a 24 fret than maybe try the Low End. They look cool but have never played or held one.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I'm digging the hell out of a Nordstrand VJ5 Classic just now! It's pretty sweet.

10. bassclef04

bassclef04 Supporting Member

I have a 2013 Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe V, a great bass! I have the 3 tone alder/rosewood and i couldn't be happier with my tone. All I need now is Fender to make a 70's Jazz V!

11. was3funk

was3funk

get your hands on as many high end jazz basses as you can, if you go for a 5'er make sure the B string is tight. Many great J style basses to choose....AC, Nordy, Sadowsky, Fbass, Moollon to name a few. Good luck!

12. lowstrung5

lowstrung5 Supporting Member

I've played most well known boutique out there and have owned quite a few. You can add Xotic XJ-1T to the pack. It is one the most versatile j styles I've owned. Fantastic B string.

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Fer sure. High end Jazz Bass inspired instruments is already a crowded field...and only getting more crowded. So many choices - including Overwater, Mayones, etc.

MM

14. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Check out Wilkins basses. His basses are completely built in-house from raw wood lumber to his famous finishes.

15. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    LEJ.

PM me if you are looking for one!

16. paujones

paujones Supporting Member

I've been playing mostly 5-string for about 20 years. I recently bought an Alleva-Coppola and I love it.
    I also have a Lakland Skyline 55-60 Joe Osborn that I like too. It was less than half the cost of the AC. I also have an Alembic Europa 5 with the great Alembic electronics and killer tone.

I real depends on what you need from the bass and how many different sounding once you want. I did a few shows this weekend, and I switched back and forth and lived the diversity and different looks.

One factor is weight. The AC with alder body and thin, sculpted rosewood over maple is much lighter than the others and has great tone.

17. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

I'm real happy with my Xotic XJ-1T. Its exactly what ur looking for:5 string Jazz bass...but be carful its loaded!!!

18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Never played an LE, but ansolutely love my A-C LG5.

...but here's the catch: When I bought my A-C, they were a lot cheaper and Fender was still kinda figuring out 5-string J-basses. Now it's years later and Fender has made lots of improvements to their 5s and A-C basses have gotten a lot more expensive.

Am I glad I bought the A-C? Yes. Would I buy one now, given the current state of A-C prices and Fender quality? I'm not so sure. Today, I might lean toward the Fender.

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I voted other. If I wanted a killer custom bass I'd get an Alembic.

However, i do understand that sometimes you just gotta have a familiar jazz shaped bass. If Thats the goal then I'd go with a Spector Coda Woodstock edition.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spector-USA...r-/251264961733?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a808f0cc5

If I just had to have a sweet new Fender I'd get the Fender Select Active Jazz.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-2013...3-/201057168888?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ecff0edf8

If I just had to have a road worn jazz or something a little less pristine I'd go with an all original 1960's Fender Jazz.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...C-/151235456000?pt=Guitar&hash=item233655ec00

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

jimmy is a genuine and cool person, i put his pickups in my 84 mij jazz and i could not be happier with the tone, it's amazing now

21. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

My AC basses are the closest I've ever come to a vintage fender in a five string package. Very authentic sound in a meticulous and period correct build.