1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Allparts maple block necks: do they have the same feel as a geddy neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

I'm trying to make my own custom bass, particular geddy's red "2112" jazz bass. I just want to know if the Allparts necks play like a geddy lee jazz neck so I can order one to put on a red jazz bass.

Thanks.
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I don't know but I suspect they are standard Jazz thickness, not as thin as the GL.
  3. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

No. Not at all. Thicker front to back than the GL. The GL is, to me, unnaturally thin, but I love them!

BnB
  4. flewis

flewis Supporting Member

+1

The Allparts Jazz necks are thicker front to back.
  5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Standard modern "C" shape?
  6. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

Allparts necks are the standard Fender Jazz specs. The GL neck is thinner than standard Fender specs. It's a small difference, but you can feel it.

A standard is a "modern C" shape, a GL is a "thin C" shape according to Fender.
  7. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

On the bright side, Geddy necks are fairly easy to find on the used market. I see them on the TB Classifieds and Ebay all the time.
  8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

The allparts neck could probably be reshaped to match the Geddy.
  9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I built a "Geddy" bass using an Allparts neck about 10 years ago. It was a nice neck, but it did not have a Geddy profile at all. Geddy jazz basses have a very slim neck. The allparts jazz neck that I had was a fat C profile. For me it was uncomfortably thick.
  10. Ray man

Ray man

Im happy with my allparts neck.
    It is thicker than the geddy, but geddy has a new neck on his main bass that has the standard C shape if im not mistaken.
  11. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

FWIW, a Squier VMJ neck is in between an Allparts and a GL neck on the "comfortability scale". Not too thin, but not as fat front to back as the Allparts.

BnB
  12. Presto2112

Presto2112

So more like a jaguar bass neck?
  13. exidor

exidor

You sir are correct!
    The pickups are original, though the bridge pickup was rewound to virtually original specs by Tom Brantley at Mojo Tone in North Carolina in 2010. That same year, it was outfi tted with its third neck—a maple Fender Custom Shop version with a 9" radius, white binding, and aged pearl block inlays. According to McIntosh, it has “a little more mass than the typical Geddy Lee-style neck,” and like all of Lee’s basses, the back of the neck has a rubbed oil fi nish. It’s set up very straight, with extremely low string height and fast action. The medium-weight alder body features an aged pearl pickguard custom-engraved by James Hogg with the alchemical symbol for amalgamation.
  14. Presto2112

Presto2112

So.... Rush was inducted into the RRHOF today. Amazing.
  15. exidor

exidor

Long over due.
  16. Presto2112

Presto2112

17. Presto2112

Presto2112

I want to build a red geddy bass, but I don't want to spend a ton where I could just buy an actual Geddy bass. Suggestions? I've heard good and bad things about warmoth and I don't know what good prices are for pickups and hardware since I've seen them for a wide range of prices.
  18. Marton

Marton

Get a Squier VM Jazz. Buy a used red body and swap the body on the VM.
  19. gordon5377

gordon5377

I recently finished building my tribute to Geddy's red CS jazz. I call mine 'Red Barchetta', but to each his own.

You might want to try Warmoth rather than Allparts, although it will probably be a little more expensive if you are on a budget. Anyway, ask them to do the "slim contour" on the neck (I think this is like a $40 upcharge in price). I have never played one but I have seen it described as very similar to the GL style necks.

You can look on ebay and craigslist for a genuine GL neck, but the people that are selling know what they have and are usually not willing to negotiate or deal with you (my personal experience anyway).

Attached Files: