1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

allright! Thanksgiving's almost here- favorite dressing recipes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

well, it's almost time...any favorite dressing recipes?

here's mine:

one package of [DEL]Stouffers[/DEL] Pepperidge Farm cornbread dressing mix
    one skillet of home-made cornbread
    poultry seasoning
    3/4 pound of Jimmy Dean sausage
    celery & onion to taste
    3 small packs of oysters (NOT canned!!!)
    two whole duck legs

boil duck until ready; set aside to cool. the liquid from this will be what we use to keep the stuffing moist

brown sausage, and saute celery and onion.

cut up oysters...don't make a mush, but cut them into small pieces

mix [DEL]Stouffer's[/DEL] Pepperidge Farm mix and skillet cornbread. fairly fine.

in a mixing bowl put oysters (with their liquid), cornbread, sausage, celery & onion.

pick the meat off duck legs and cut up into fairly uniform small pieces and put that in as well.

put the duck leg bones back in the boiling pot and simmer until you have all their flavor out...i like to cut up my duck legs into about 4 pieces each leg, so the bones yield all their flavor at this point.

strain liquid from the duck boiling and add to the cornbread-celery-oyster-duck meat mix above...you don't want it soupy, but their should be plenty of liquid...dry stuffing is no joke and err on the side of a little too much, rather than a little too little...:D...add a little poultry seasoning at this time...not too much!

put in a baking dish and cook at @ 400 degrees for around a hour...check. you want it cooked through. leave it in a little longer than you think.

serve (dare i say it) with gravy, turkey, mashed taters and all the trimmings.

your family will universally proclaim it the beast dressing they have ever had.

[​IMG]

ps-edit- ooopps...forgot to mention...COVER THE BAKING DISH TIGHTLY!...use foil and if it came with a top, use that also. baking the stuffing covered helps insure moist stuffing. take the cover off for the last 15 minutes or so, so it can brown.
  2. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Mine's more traditional sage dressing.

I get bread cubes from the bakery of my next door Hy Vee, wheat, rye, all dark breads.
    Sweat down diced celery & onion and a little garlic. Barely enough to taste, you just know it's there.
    Add to bread in large mixing bowl.
    Grind pepper, poultry seasoning, sage, a touch of ground fennel, celery seed to dry mix. Toss together.
    Add low sodium or no salt added vegetable stock or broth while mixing. Make it a little wetter than you think is right to ensure a moist finished product.
    Adjust seasonings before baking.
    Bake covered, removing foil for last 15 to 20 minutes.
    Let sit, loosely covered for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow it to set up for easier serving.
  3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I know everyone thinks there recipe is the best, but mine is =D.

heat large skillet, melt some butter in it, throw in half an onion (chopped) and some celery (also chopped) get that nice and tender.

cube potato bread and put in large bowl, beat and egg and pour over bread, add celery onion butter mixture, add some chicken broth

mix to combine, should be slightly moist but not wet

melt more butter in the skillet, return the bread mixture and fry, stirring frequently, add more chicken broth as needed, add salt and pepper to taste.

I'm up to having to make triple batches of this stuff.
  4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Oh why not...

Cube 6 slices of wheat bread, 4 potato rolls, and 8 slices of white bread, and a large rye roll. Place all cubes onto a large baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with poultry seasoning and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes at 300 or until crisp.

In a food processor finely process 4 stalks of celery, 3 large carrots, 1 medium onion, a few leaves of fresh sage, 2 cloves of garlic, some fresh thyme and rosemary(a pinch of each)

Take this to a large shallow fryer or 6qt sauce pan, melt 1 stick of butter and start to sautee veg and herb mix. Add 1tsp of black pepper, 1/4tsp poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp seasoning salt, and 1 tsp sea salt. Mix spices in with veg, then add dried bread cubes and mix thoroughly.

Begin to moisten with chicken broth, usually about 1 can blended with 1 egg and added to stuffing mix.

Mix thoroughly until slightly moist but not pastey wet. Place mixture into a butter greased baking dish, and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. The mixture is now ready to stuff the front and rear cavities of Turkey. Serve when Turkey is done.