Alright trying to get that early 90's Seattle tone. Please critique.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I am trying to work on a future recording tone with my band and its been a bit of a journey. But a really fun one nonetheless. This is a short track where I play the intro to a popular song (you guys will get it). I need advice with tone, compression, and things I can do to get that tone I am looking for. So far this test was recorded into Audacity. Its a Spector Perfomer going into a Behringer BDI-21 and then straight into the PC's sound card.

https://soundcloud.com/spector_bassman/would3

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Noting your recording limitations etc. I think you're pretty close. The Spectors pretty much come built in with great tone without much messing around needed.

Critique-wise I would say you need to be a little more confident with the riff and with a little work on your right hand attack you'll nail it. Playing at volume with a drummer would probably fill in the blanks in that regard.

Nicely done.

3. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Not bad, play harder and with a more defined attack, sounds a little like you are sliding the pick over the strings instead of plucking. For what you want you might get more into that territory by having more neck pup, it's really a P bass grind sound you are going for and that will help. You can squash the heck out of it too but unless your finger/pick attack is correct it still won't be what you want.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That Spector sounds pretty good I always use my B3K when I'm playing anything from that era do you have a compressor?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. onosson

onosson

Agree with the above, you need to lay into it more to get the sound you're looking for, but you're definitely in the ballpark.

7. TUEP

TUEP

No I don't have a compression pedal or one on any of my amps. I think Audacity has a compression effect though.