Alright, What's Going on here?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamreveler, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jamreveler

jamreveler

I bought a used Genz-Benz XB2 (4x10 cabinet) to plug my new Genz-Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 into. All was going fine, played a great gig with it. I'm in a Grateful Dead cover band so I had this thing turned up to about 2. Like I said gig went great. One week later I plug it back in in my basement, and I've got at least one shot speaker and the low end is full of blown speaker noise. This was gonna my baby! The question is... did I buy a bad cabinet and one gig blew it out... it was fine before the gig.... Or is this a bad match of head and cabinet and I blew the cabinet? I can return the cab within 30 days for store credit, so I'm not terribly concerned, but its a real head scratcher. It sounded wonderful!
  2. jamreveler

jamreveler

I will point out that the head is rated for 900W at 4 ohms and the cab is rated for 500W at 4 ohms... is this my problem?
  3. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

It could very easily be dirty power either from your wall or from your bass (if you have a battery in it). You might try another bass and/or another power source and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents...
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If it was turned up to 2 on a scale of 10, I doubt it. If you turned up to 2:00, yes it was definitely the reason.
    The speaker may have been on the edge of failure already being a used cab either way.
  5. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    How is your AC voltage in your basement?
    Did you double/triple check that everything is hooked up right?
    Could you have a bass boost or contour button pushed in that you don't normally have engaged-- could have bumped it in transport...
    Could you have a battery in need of replacement somewhere in your signal chain?

I'm not trying to insult you, but all of these things have had me blaming innocent parties ;)

Edit: Well, I don't type very fast.
  6. jamreveler

jamreveler

Thx for replies.. I am feeling like an idiot having this problem in the first place so no offenses taken!
  7. Yango

Yango

Step one: If you have an active bass, replace the battery with a new one.
  8. B-string

Don't feel like an idiot! Stuff occurs, only the depth varies (cleaned up for TB posting) :)

Two recent experiences I have had: 1) Plugged in the monitors that worked perfect before load in and the magnet on one monitor slipped on the trip to the gig pinching the speaker cone solid. Ran one monitor out front. 2) Outside gig, noticed a glass block window next door. Towards the end of the gig the covering on my cab started smoking, black keys/drawbars on the two keyboards started melting in places and the keyboardists right ear was getting very hot/red. Didn't see either of those coming.
  9. jamreveler

jamreveler

I have had some other power concerns in the basement so I will start there... the bass is passive... just so odd... I'll get to the bottom of it
  10. jamreveler

jamreveler

the noise i am getting does remind me of dead battery active noise though... it jseems to be predominantly coming out of the top right speaker....
  11. Steve

Steve Supporting Member

You got a used cab that was stressed. It just happened to let go on you the first time out. It happens. You were wise to do used business with a return option. Use it. Walk away and start over.

IMHO
  12. B-string

GB construction is generally very good, but a bad connection to that speaker is also possible. I don't know off hand if the speaker magnets are bonded (glued) or screwed to the baskets (see my last post). Never know being used it may also have a cheap "look a like" speaker in that position?
  13. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've never experienced "dirty power". How would that blow a driver or make drivers sound like they're blown?

It's often said that knob psoition means nothing. This is especially true on a Shuttlemax where you have 2 volume knobs (plus EQ knobs) on each of 2 channels (that can be used together) plus a master volume.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Usually a cabinet is rated for its thermal power or the point where it begins to melt. The drivers can use about half of that rating before running out of excursion. Therefore you fed a possible 900W into a cabinet that could handle only 250W or so. Yes that was your problem as I see it. Sorry.
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Can you try the amp with another cabinet, and the cabinet with another amp?

Things that can cause a distorted sound include loose terminals inside a SpeakOn cable, speakers that were previously driven within an inch of their life, a problem with a pickup/set-up, etc.

Check the obvious things first. You can always PM me and I will help you sort this out.