Alrighty, Whats a Good Loud Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Osztertag2112, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Hey guys, im sure this has been asked before, actually Ive read a couple threads already on the topic, but I would like to know, what is a good combo amp that I can get some good wattage out of.

I play rock music, and like a dirty sound, but what combo amp can get me a loud boomy sound. Id like to spend under $1000 on it if I can, and it would be something to cut through two guitars and fill some clubs and bars.

I dont really care if its a new or used or tube or solid state, im not to picky.
  2. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

For less than a $1,000 you can get a good used amp head and cabinet.

If you're looking for a loud combo you should be able to pick up a used one easily for around $500. GK MB212-II or MB115 are loud. Or an Ampeg BA115HP.

Personally I would look at a solid state 500w micro head and a cab or two. Which one to get depends on your taste. Try some out and then buy one used here in TB.
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

you can get a 500 watt head and 410 cab for that kind of cash and still have a couple hundred left over. Would strongly stay away from combos with that kind of cash unless they are a combo that can have extension cabs added.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

If it must be a combo, I have always been very impressed with the Mark Bass 115 combos, but at your price, it would have to be used.

For the volume you need, a combo isn't going to be the best value. Used GK MB500 and a good used 410 or 212 is going to bury most any combo in your price range.
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

BTW boomy does not cut through, it just gets muddy and lost. Maybe you want punchy but cutting? The G-K's are a good option.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, checkout the new Gallien-Krueger MB212-II, and MB410-II combos - they're lightweight, compact, 500 Watts each and affordable. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gk-mb410-ii-mbp410-ii-1030305/
  9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

The loudest bass combo I have ever heard has been the Peavey Combo…. its a heavy amp but so loud. The Mesa Scout can fill a small room with high quality bass...
  10. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Mesa M6 212 combo. It cuts through the hot knife that is cutting through butter.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Those are top dog combos but they ain't cheap! LOUD, full, and clear though.
  12. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

They are getting more and more rare it seems also. I'm extremely glad I got ahold of one when I did. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but worth every penny. With gain at 2 o'clock, I have never had the master past 9, it's that loud.
  13. RnBass

RnBass

Combos always seem to be a compromise. You either get small and boxy sounding or large, heavy and/or expensive. :bag:

A micro amp and a cab or two is, for me, much more versatile, easier to carry and more adaptable to the venue/rehearsal space.

You can often find a great set for well under $1k...
  14. GK Growl

GK Growl

My son has had success with his GK MB212 Combo. We bought it used for $350. Full 500 watts into 2 12" speakers, DI for PA use, and more than loud enough blown wide open for his rock band with a heavy hitting drummer.
  15. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Used Mesa Walkabout.
    Tons of bottom.
  16. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

+ a million
    Greatest combo amp i ever owned.
  17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Your budget will buy a better rig than any combo amp. 500 watts and a good 410, or 215 is a solid gig worthy rig, and will blow away most combo amps.
  18. kcole4001

kcole4001

Try a Super Redhead if you can find one.
  19. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I was happy with my old SWR Workingman 210 combo. You can find them dirt cheap.
  20. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Thanks guys!! Im not sure why i never considered amps and cabs, i just dont see too many in local shops. Ill look into them some more, however the gk and the swr seem good for the price points! Thanks guys!
  21. lowdown_billy

lowdown_billy Supporting Member Supporting Member

Echoing the love for the GK here -- I run a MB500 into a 212 Neo II for most rock gigs and have no problem holding my own in the mix. I also have a 112 Neo that I mostly use with an MB200 for practice at home, but stack up with the 212 for more loud goodness from the MB500 when I need it. I will warn you though -- this kind of G-K rig has more of a tight than boomy low-end. I can dial in a pretty fat bottom, but it's always crisp and articulate. I dig the sound, but if you're looking for that more felt than heard effect it might not be your thing.

I have a nice Ashdown ABM 210 combo that I like for that tubey, overdriven, resonant sound. Paired with a 210 or 115 extension cab, it's a complete monster (575 honest watts) and it holds its own well even without another cab. The current UK-built models they're selling are fairly expensive (I think around $1500), but I have an older one that's China-built (and been completely flawless in its functioning for five years) I have up on Craig's List for about a third of that. I may put it up here if I can't sell it local. Again, you gotta like the Ashdown sound which is its own thing, but I think they make some great, often-overlooked gear.

Good luck!