Also beginning again, a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AttackDonut, Dec 15, 2013.

1. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Actually, never started. I had a nice Kramer but life circumstances forced me to put aside my plans to play until now. No longer have the kramer (it was huge, heavy and long long necked)
    In any case, I'm in a much better position financially and mentally and went looking today.
    I really like the Ibanez SR500, mainly for it's thin neck, seems to be easy to reach everything and slide my palm up and down.
    Am willing to spend up to 900$ for something.
    What might I look at as a comparison to the Ibanez?
    Ultimately I will be playing metal, but for the time being, I simply want to learn how to play, I'll deal with the style later as I get the basics down.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Schecter are of similar build quality (quite high) and price range as Ibanez SR series. I have the Stiletto Studio 8 and I am quite impressed with it. The neck is also quite thin and has a "fast" feel to it.
  3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

The Ibanez SR series are great basses at a great price. I had one before upgrading to a Carvin. The SR is easy to play and sounds good. Go for it!
  4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Ibanez SRs are great, I have an 80s MIJ SR800 that is a dream to play and yes, very good for metal.

That said, a Fender Aerodyne Jazz would be good option also, since you're willing to splurge a little. It has a thin and fast neck with both P and J pickups for a variety of tonal options. The dark/sleek styling can work for metal (think Anthrax) but also other genres without trouble.

I think going used is the way to go, though, if you think you may be changing instruments at some point. You can probably flip it for about what you paid rather than losing 30-60% of what you pay retail for a new instrument.

Lots of great stuff here in the classifieds.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

The Studio 8 is an 8 string, not sure I'm ready for that, but thanks for the replies :)
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Yep, but they also make a 4, 5, and 6-string version of the same bass. :smug:
  8. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

Nine-hundred could get you a variety of really nice basses, especially if you go used. Ever try a Fender Jazz? The tapered neck might be to your liking. You could probably even find a new FSR Jazz(MIM) for your money.
  9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Dunno if it'd be the "right one for you", but see if you can try out a Fender Blacktop Jazz. It's going to be heavier than an Ibanez, but if you can swing it, it's an incredibly aggressive beast. Also, they only go for about $500, so that's a whole lotta bass for your buck.