Alternate 12-string EeE-AaA-DdD-GgG.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

What do you guys think of an 8-string with an extra fundamental course, but after the octave strings so as to not drown them out but increase fundamental power? Has anyone tried this??

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. M0ses

M0ses

I can't imagine trying to fret that and being successful.

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Agreed.

But here's another idea. I watched a YouTube video where Vic Danger, playing a 12 string, tuned one of the higher strings to a fifth instead of the octave, so it essentially played a barre chord with each strike. You could expand that idea to tune one of the higher strings to a third (but you'd have to decide in advance whether you wanted a major or minor 3rd.)

4. johnnydingle

johnnydingle Supporting Member

I've often wondered what it would be like if each course was tuned to like a tri-tone or dimished chord. Like tune it (low to high) E A# E. Most of the bands I've been in have used those chords and scales and I've been curious how that would sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

I think it was tried. Saddles couldn't intonate.

7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Its funny you say that because in the blueprint I made there's only 3mm spacing between each string and 17mm between courses.

8. Abner

Abner

It's the diameter of the strings that is the issue, not the space between them. One thin string surrounded by two fat strings? You'll never be able to fret the middle string cleanly, if at all.

-Alex

9. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I suppose you're right:meh:. Why not have the octave string first then?? The double regular strings would probably make up for the low end lost in most 8-strings.