alternate cab for a vintage acoustic 360 head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ztill00, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ztill00

ztill00

does anyone know if the acoustic 360 pre-amp head can be used with another type of cabinet besides the 361? do i need to run it along side an additional power amp if i use an unpowered cabinet? is it worth it?
    :help::bassist:
    thanks!

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You will need a power amp to drive any non-powered cab. It will be worth it if you like the sound of the 360 preamp.

3. ztill00

ztill00

cool, that's what i figured...
    just any old class d power amp will do the trick?

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Any class D, AB, mono block or amp head that has a power amp in or effects return jack. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Be careful with the bass control on that thing. Its boost affects frequencies that are WAY below what any reflex cab can handle. So, if you're using a reflex cab, run a good high pass filter somewhere in your signal chain, or use the Variamp at its lowest or next-to-lowest range instead of the bass control to do your bass boosting.

You can find power amps with built in high pass filters if you don't want to bother with an external one.

This is less of a problem with high-tuned sealed cabs, SVT for example, or its 410 baby brother, or the original 18" folded horn, because the air cushion inside those cabs provides a buffer against injudicious use of that bass control.

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I agree with craig. p. I have a 370 and with a modern ported cabinet, the low end is HUGE and uncontrolled. The chamber/cabinet the intended 18" speaker is in, inside that large horn, is rather small, and the excursion of the speaker is really limited by the trapped air cushion. But I don't have any trouble using the 370 with modern cabinets. The bright switch is designed to try and force some high end from that 18, and is excessive and too low tuned for most modern cabinets.

Most power amps will have a low frequency filter which will serve you well. If you want to stay with old school SS, low slew rate tone to match your preamp, an old Peavey CS800 or Crown from the late 70's/early 80's will do.

I'd find a light Class D power amp. A good 2X15 cabinet would work well.

8. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

Go to the Acoustic Users Club, here on TB and go to <www.unofficialacousticontrol.com> which is a special site for us Acoustic Control Corp Lovers. The actual designers and such are on that site; schematics, pics and many more knowledgeable users.

Contact George Grexa, who owns Acoustic USA...[ which is not the Guitar Center Acoustic, B T W]..

Also..[I have never done this] Could you try a 1/4 : Y-plug: Into 361 cab.. out... into an extension cab? [Ask George Grexa]

Ohm issues with vintage AC amps are negligible down to 2 ohms. In fact the 371 as well as many..not all.. vintage A C amps are only at full power with a 2 ohm reading.

If you don't like the 301W-horn,try the Acoustic 408 w/4x15's.

I own a Sunn 1-18 vh, which is a folded horn variant. Tons of tone across the spectrum; no loss of highs : high d# on G string. I wish someone would reissue those cabs.
    Good luck..You are very fortunate to won a 361.

9. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I understand on the O P now...

YES...You can use the 361 pre-amp with any power amp with any cab/ cabs that amp can handle.

Again ...you are very fortunate to own a 361 pre amp.

And..again.. visit those sites..tons of info on unofficial acoustic.

10. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Get an acoustic 300 slave amp, I love my 360 through the 300 into just about any cab. I use an ampeg 2x10 with this set up for great results!

11. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member

I run my 360 replica preamps through my Markbass setup. An F500 head and a Traveller 1x15. I set the EQ flat on the F500 and turn up the VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulation) knob up a bit. Sounds great,

12. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Best bet is a 300 slave amp. And usually they can be had in great shape for under 300$ plenty of volume, 2 ohm load capability and a sweet blue front panel.

13. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Perhaps this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it bears repeating - the 360 preamp can dole out a very, very high level. Always start with the VOLUME control turned low and slowly build your gain staging from there.

An old bass acquaintance of mine fried his GK head with my 360 and then tried to get mad at me for it....dummy.

Haha.:bassist:

And as far as the cab choice - up to you.

14. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

I hope he ran it into the GK's effects return rather than into the instrument input.

Your avatar looks like a Maine Coon. I got one o' those.......

15. d180fuzz

d180fuzz C21H30O2

Nope - I think he went straight into the front end....hence the fryage.

Yeah, Big Buggo's a Maine Coon mix - does the fetching trick and all.

He's the best!