1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

alternative to eudoxa & evah 102cm scale

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basic74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. basic74

basic74

hi, my bass has 102cm scale.
    I´ve played evah mittel and weichs, now eudoxa.
    I enjoyed them both for what they are, but eudoxas are brighter which helps my bass.
    but I need a string that won´t break after a relatively short time.
    arco, pizz and some contemporary techinques (preparations, etc)
    what should I get?
    thanks for your advice!
  2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Spiro Weichs
  3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Or Mitts
  4. basic74

basic74

thanks. I´ve been thinking about spiros.. but the midrange they have I didn´t like before.. hm.. perhaps I must try them again.
    anything else?
  5. A. Munk

A. Munk

6. kwd

kwd

I also like Zyex mediums. I have the light tension on now but I find the open A and D to be kind of thuddy. I wanted a lower tension string to gradually build up my thumb callous, ...again :(.

I go back and forth between Superflexibles and Zyex. The Superflexible G really sings in upper position arco but it can be a little volatile. If you end up getting Zyex, be patient. They take some time to settle down and they seem to sound better each time I pick up the bass.
  7. basic74

basic74

I never heard or played zyex myself.
    I read they are synthetic core, what is there lifespan more or less?
  8. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Gensslers. Perhaps his Dragos? They'll be made to fit your bass and have a two year warranty to boot. If you dig Eudoxas then you are open to gut core strings. Gerold's strings are quite simply the best.
  9. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

I was also going to suggest investigating Gensslers...I haven't tried them, but have a used set of Red Label Bassos coming my way. They are silver flatwound on a fiber core (not gut), low tension and meant for bowing...they are going on my bass that I use mostly for bowing and some pizz when my gut-strung bass is a little too thumpy. They cost much less than his gut-core strings, too. We'll see!
  10. kwd

kwd

Zyex are synthetic core. I have about one year on my mediums. They still sound okay. The consensus seems to be that they last 10 months to a year.