1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

alternative to eudoxa & evah 102cm scale

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basic74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. basic74

basic74

hi, my bass has 102cm scale.
    I´ve played evah mittel and weichs, now eudoxa.
    I enjoyed them both for what they are, but eudoxas are brighter which helps my bass.
    but I need a string that won´t break after a relatively short time.
    arco, pizz and some contemporary techinques (preparations, etc)
    what should I get?
    thanks for your advice!

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Or Mitts

4. basic74

basic74

thanks. I´ve been thinking about spiros.. but the midrange they have I didn´t like before.. hm.. perhaps I must try them again.
    anything else?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. A. Munk

A. Munk

7. kwd

kwd

I also like Zyex mediums. I have the light tension on now but I find the open A and D to be kind of thuddy. I wanted a lower tension string to gradually build up my thumb callous, ...again :(.

I go back and forth between Superflexibles and Zyex. The Superflexible G really sings in upper position arco but it can be a little volatile. If you end up getting Zyex, be patient. They take some time to settle down and they seem to sound better each time I pick up the bass.

8. basic74

basic74

I never heard or played zyex myself.
    I read they are synthetic core, what is there lifespan more or less?

9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

Gensslers. Perhaps his Dragos? They'll be made to fit your bass and have a two year warranty to boot. If you dig Eudoxas then you are open to gut core strings. Gerold's strings are quite simply the best.

10. tyb507

tyb507

I was also going to suggest investigating Gensslers...I haven't tried them, but have a used set of Red Label Bassos coming my way. They are silver flatwound on a fiber core (not gut), low tension and meant for bowing...they are going on my bass that I use mostly for bowing and some pizz when my gut-strung bass is a little too thumpy. They cost much less than his gut-core strings, too. We'll see!

11. kwd

kwd

Zyex are synthetic core. I have about one year on my mediums. They still sound okay. The consensus seems to be that they last 10 months to a year.