Alternative to sunbeams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Mar 30, 2014.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I love DR sunbeams for about two weeks, then the love affair ends. I love the feel and sound out of the box but I doesn't last. I was thinking about trying D'Addario XL170 nickels. I like that you can get them cheap and sometimes in a two pack deal. I want a nickel string that lasts longer (in terms of brightness). I play a jazz bass and use a lot of harmonics (sunbeams did this well, for two weeks anyway). When I was using stainless for awhile I liked roto swing bass 66, but have gone back to nickel. It seams I like round core strings and wondering if hex core will effect use of harmonics (jaco style, only crappier bassist playing them :) would the XL 170's be a good choice based on my needs?

2. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    Fodera nickels they are roundcore like sunbeams but way way better IMO. tone stays pretty much the same way for a while.....It might be the best string for harmonics....try Fodera you will never use another string if you like sunbeams......sunbeams sound dead to me after being used to foderas.

3. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

I'm going to reinforce Dred's recommendation to you here. You are describing a need for Fodera nickels. Waste no time and order a set. They are roundcore with a similar feel. Long lasting tone and bite with amazing harmonics. With hot pickups the harmonics are insane.

They are VERY friendly for acidic hands. Most NPS strings last me only 10-24 hours before they are unusable. That grouping of strings includes DR, Daddario, Dunlop, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball, Fender... DR Sunbeams were at the top of that heap. In contrast, my first set of Fodera nickels lasted me over 45 hours of use. No joke. That was even through a swap between basses in which I twisted one of the strings accidentally. I'm on my second set and have lost count of the hours. I suspect I will consistently get around 50-60 hours. Simply amazing.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

yuuup. I use custom Fodera sets from www.bassstringsonline.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Fodera it is, thanks guys!

7. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

daddario xl170 are great for the money and IMO have the most standard bass tone once broken in; a very neutral tone with a slight midscoop and but still strong and punchy overall tone.
    Elixir Stainless steel Nanoweb (the new strings with the NEW coating). I have these on my pbass and so far, they sound great... although the E string is a little dead.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Nothing tonally in common really with Sunbeams or Foderas though. D'Addario's are also not round core.

9. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Have to agree here but add that the tonal character differences between Sunbeams and Foderas are quite different. The feel is similar but not the tone. Fodera nickels have some qualities that remind me of SS strings like DR Fat Beams while retaining the nickel warmth and a little more fatness. IMO they have a bite and crunch in that territory.