1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Alternative to XL-165's? More bottom, slightly less zing?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bumperbass, Nov 12, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Guys, my title pretty much sums up what I'm looking for. I've used D'Addario XL165's FOREVER. Right now, I am in the mood to step out on the highway (experiment), but I don't want to get run-over.
    I've been lurking on these forums, and as you may know, string threads (no pun intended) can get sort of long and very opinionated. So to help out a little, I've tried to be as specific as I could about EXACTLY what I'm looking for.
    My head seems to have found a memory wrinkle spot with DR Sunbeams in it, like what I've gained from browsing the string forum.
    Am I on the right track?
    BTW, I've tried Chromes. Too much thud and absolutely nothing above 700 Hz, IMO.
    Think I'll stick with rounds.
    Thanks. Sorry for another (maybeimpossible to answer) string thread.
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Don't do it once you open that door you will be on a never ending quest for strings :) in all seriousness I would consider labella Super Slappers don't be put off by the name I don't slap but they really have a great sound I have them on a five string treker
  3. bumperbass

bumperbass

I know. I should just turn off this thing and go to bed. Maybe it will pass.
    I play a Precision, FWIW.
  4. bumperbass

bumperbass

I went to basstringsonline. I see Super Steps. No Super Slappers.
    Also, if I pay $46 for a set of strings, they'd better sit in for a set or two once a weekend while I sit and listen with Bud light in hand (and I don't drink on gigs).
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Slappers are now called Nickel Plated Steel round wound series.

Same strings different packaging and name.

Also are you setup as a VIP? If not pm me.
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I think it's worth trying the Sunbeams. The only thing that's making me wonder if they might NOT be the right string for you is that you say you want "slightly" less zing. The Sunbeams have significantly less. Even still, I'm a slapper, and need to have some top end, and the Sunbeams still do it for me.
  7. bumperbass

bumperbass

How's the bottom end? I realize I'm not going to get a real thump from roundwounds, unless I go to XL170's (bigger gauge). I'm just so used to the tension of the XL160's.
    I'd definitely be thrown off with a less or more tensioned string, after so many years.
  8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Like the D'Addarios, but with a little more bottom and slightly less zing?

GHS Boomers in the same gauge. Done.

I have found Sunbeams to be pretty darn bright for nickels, at least as bright as the D'Addarios.
  9. bumperbass

bumperbass

jasper, I've heard than the Boomers are hard on finger skin. Don't know what to make of that. I used Swing 66's in the late 70's and never had a 'skin' problem.
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Boomers are nothing like Roto 66's as far as feel.
  11. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

I was going to say Boomers too. Very similar feel, but Boomers don't have that zing. Coated Boomers would take it even farther.

Get them from bassstringsonline.com and you can even build custom sets there!
  12. MR PC

MR PC

What about GHS Progresives?
  13. bumperbass

bumperbass

Thanks, SLaPinFuNK!

Just ordered a set of XL's. Maybe next time I'll experiment. Didn't have the guts to change. I'm a coward! D'Addario always wins me with their consistency. I just put 'em on and go! No surprises.
  14. MR PC

MR PC

The XL165's have been my rounds of choice forever too. And you can't beat the price either, once the GAS evolves to the shopping stage.....but I too have been thinking of trying something new.....TI rounds are xpensive for experimenting, but the Progressives are affordable and look like they might be a lot like the XL's.... but different:D
  15. bumperbass

bumperbass

Where's the 'like' button?
  16. bumperbass

bumperbass

I found it.

Attached Files:

17. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

Really like them. Nice and snappy, kind of the opposite of Boomers. The exposed core and GHS's insane pricing of singles keeps me from using them though.
  18. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm proud of you I like Labella's after spending a ridiculous amount of money on strings I'm sticking with them and I refuse to cheat.
  19. gary m

gary m

Pyramid Pure Nickel Roundwounds. There's also a stainless steel set, but they're very bright...plus the pure nickel wrap is a bit kinder to the frets.
  20. MR PC

MR PC

What's the problem with the exposed core? I'm looking for an alternative to the 165's that doesn't cost as much as TI Jazz rounds, but has the same sort of tension, which I've gathered is similar to the TI flats that I adore. XL's stiffen up a bit over time ime.