1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Alternatives/similar amps to SWR Baby Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Looking for small Tone-powerful amps for studio and recording along the lines of the SWR Baby (Baby) Blue combos of yesteryear....

Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Well, I used to have a BB II which I thought was the best sounding small combo amp until I got a Markbass Minimark. :bassist: it is amazing how good an amp can sound with just those two little filter controls (and a volume control, of course).

3. There is nothing quite like the BBII amp. Sorry to say it. I have however been pleased with my SWR Headlite replacement in my Baby Baby Blue Combo:

[​IMG]

Despite being a three band seni-parametric EQIt's not the same EQ as the BBII. It is rather versatile as well as tube driven though and can sound great recorded.

4. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    I made good experiences with my Ibanez Promethean 5110. The EQ helps a lot to dial in any sound you like, and it has got a lot of ooomph with only a single 10''-speaker.

More mid-related, rock- sounds I generated with an old, sealed 410''-cab I own for a long time now.

I had fine oldschool-sounds with that thing, with my Stingray 5 with a hot onboard pre there is lots of growl when boosting the lower mids. I like the Promethean even more over the time.

Besides that it is dead quiet, no fan or hiss or other noise.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Guys do you think a Baby Baby Blue would make a nice recording amp (especially if mixed in with a DI or other processing) ?

What's so special about the Baby Baby Blue? It's great "clean" SWR sound?