1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Alternatives/similar amps to SWR Baby Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Looking for small Tone-powerful amps for studio and recording along the lines of the SWR Baby (Baby) Blue combos of yesteryear....

Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Well, I used to have a BB II which I thought was the best sounding small combo amp until I got a Markbass Minimark. :bassist: it is amazing how good an amp can sound with just those two little filter controls (and a volume control, of course).

3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

There is nothing quite like the BBII amp. Sorry to say it. I have however been pleased with my SWR Headlite replacement in my Baby Baby Blue Combo:

[​IMG]

Despite being a three band seni-parametric EQIt's not the same EQ as the BBII. It is rather versatile as well as tube driven though and can sound great recorded.

4. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

I made good experiences with my Ibanez Promethean 5110. The EQ helps a lot to dial in any sound you like, and it has got a lot of ooomph with only a single 10''-speaker.

More mid-related, rock- sounds I generated with an old, sealed 410''-cab I own for a long time now.

I had fine oldschool-sounds with that thing, with my Stingray 5 with a hot onboard pre there is lots of growl when boosting the lower mids. I like the Promethean even more over the time.

Besides that it is dead quiet, no fan or hiss or other noise.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Guys do you think a Baby Baby Blue would make a nice recording amp (especially if mixed in with a DI or other processing) ?

What's so special about the Baby Baby Blue? It's great "clean" SWR sound?