Always loved the Jazz Bass Shape and Precision Pickup. Never liked the P-body so...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicksorenson, Nov 9, 2012.

1. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

... I had the opportunity to do this tonight. The Precision punch and the not too dark, not too bright just right tone in the coolest bass body shape ever created (Jazz) IMO!

I've always been a Jazz Bass player and never had any complaints with the J. I've always liked the body shape and I love the way the neck and bridge pickups sound together especially for slap. I'm ok with the Precision body but never have loved it. But I have always loved the tone. So for me this is sort of the best of both worlds! The roundover isn't cut yet in this picture but the bulk of the bass body is roughed out. Should have the rest of the body sanding done shortly.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to be making the nut width a little bit bigger than the Jazz's 1.5" and a little smaller than the P's ultra wide 1.75". Still not sure where to land it. Any suggestions? Maybe 1.625 or 1.6"?

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Cool! Is the P route in the traditional P "sweet spot"?

3. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

It's darn close! That was one of the most important details during the planning. The Jazz Pickguard is a little limiting. I am about as close to the edge of the guard as I can get without the pickup actually leaving too little material there. With no guard, I could have gotten a hair closer but for the overall vibe of the bass, it needs the J guard and control plate. It's going to be very vintage vibed.

So the proof will be when it's plugged in! Looking forward to that.

This one's going to be a super aged Nitro Sonic Blue almost Surf Green with an aged mint 1960's green guard.

4. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

1.625" is the Fender B-neck nut width, as I recall.

A-neck was typically on the jazz: 1.5"
    C-Neck was typical for the precision: 1.75"

Jim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

You're right. The B necks (I've heard were often 1.650"). I've measured some of the RI Fender guitars and it seems they are this nut width also. A lot of replacement necks are.

I really like 1.650" on Strats. I think some of the MM basses had 1 5/8". Seems like nut width can really give an instrument a completely different feel, even 1/16" can make a big difference. Lakland uses 1.6" on their 44-94. That seems like a good compromise. I lean toward a Jazz neck for the most part. But it is just a hair tight.

Body thickness is one thing that seems to be all over the map with Fender's early basses. I think they probably had a little bit of double taking with the weight of the basses. I've seen 1.5" thick up to 1.75" and everything in between.

7. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Cool!
    I have the same 'issue', I love the P sound and the Jazz body shape, so I bought a Fender Hoppus sig:
    [​IMG]

8. elbeau

elbeau

I'm slowly gathering parts for this type of mod. I like the jazz body but am a p bass fan thru and thru. Once I get everything in place, I'll document the whole thing. I plan to start with a stock MIM jazz and route the body for p style pups and have already picked up a neck from Guitarfetish with a 1 11/16" wide nut. I can't grip the jazz neck so this was the cheapest alternative. Have to trim the head stock for a more "Fender like look" but the wife has said I can't buy parts til after christmas. Figure I'll do my research and ask dumb questions here before I screw the whole thing up. One thing I've read is I'll need a noiseless jazz bridge pup. How bad will the hum be with a p pup and a standard jazz pup?

9. elbeau

elbeau

Just got more parts, set of 250k pots, goeth bridge, guitar fetish p neck is shaped and got some guitar fetish split p pups. Going today to hit some pawn shops for a sutable jazz donor.

10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

11. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

That's a great build thread Ken. Thanks for the link! Ashland, I've been through there (we lived in Columbia for a few years).

Also, I just finished this one up tonight after giving the nitro a few months to cure:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Wallace320

Wallace320

You know what?

I really think the closest to the sweet spot "P" style split is on Fender Reggie Hamilton's Jazz (coupled by bridge Noiseless for those of us diggin' some extra snap but not lookin' for hum)
    I really loved my BlackTop Jazz as well, especially for its dual split coil attack
    But yes: the best's got to be with a Precision neck as well
    So, "B" 1,625" neck is certainly a very good start
    Great job my friend

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. nicksorenson

nicksorenson

I believe I used a Reggie Hamilton pickguard for this one. I wound the pickups and started with an AlNiCo 2 that sounded good but lacked the growl I was after. Then I wound a set of AlNiCo 5's and there it was, nice and punchy with lots of growl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]