Always on Subtle Overdrive <150

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jan 22, 2013.

1. agreatheight

agreatheight

Simple question - looking for a subtle OD for always on operation in my cover band, something that plays well with an active bass. Something under $150. Ideas?
  2. blastjv

blastjv

I've tried a LOT of pedals for this, and settled on the Xotic Bass BB Preamp which I love. I'd also recommend the Way Huge Pork Loin. I feel that the BB tends to sound a little more aggressive, with a little more 'bite' and the PL tends to sound fatter and rounder and more 'vintage'. Both awesome (as are a lot of other pedals, but these were my favorites for this).

-JV
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Way Huge Pork Loin is my choice. I use it with an active Modulus VJ & an Aguilar Tone Hamer pedal and it sounds amazing.
  4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Another vote for the Way Huge, really excels at the whole always on subtle overdrive/tube amp dirt thing IMO. Wasn't a fan of it for any other settings, but that one slayed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agreatheight

agreatheight

Lots of votes for the Pork Loin, which I was considering. Any love for the Green Rhino?

In this comparision, I think I prefer the rhino... maybe. They both sound great.
  7. Chaddycakes

Chaddycakes

I know it is a not a distortion, and i don't
    leave it on all the time, but I can see why someone would use the MXR Bass Fuzz for always on grit. The dry and wet knobs are convenient for adding the perfect amount of fuzz and the low settings in the tone knob are very distortion-like to my ears.
  8. agreatheight

agreatheight

Well, after listening to more demos, I think I am Pork Loin bound. In addition to bass I play guitar and the PL sounds great for both instruments.

Thanks all!
  9. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    I really like the old Marshall Guv'nor pedal for this, but I've also used the Budda Phatbass, Fulltone OCD, RustyBox, Aguilar AGRO, EHX Bass Microsynth, and Darkglass B3K to do the same. It depends on how bright or dark you're looking to sound and how much grit you want to add too.
  10. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

In this price range I'd go for a Fairfield Barbershop. It's $175 but worht the extra cash. It can go from almost completely transparent to almost fuzzy overdrive. EXTREMELY versatile!!!
  11. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Tech 21 VT Bass, great "always on" tone crafting effect.
  12. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

13. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

All though I wish I had picked up a Porkloin when they were cheap last year. My choice has become the "Ginger", but you will have to build it yourself. Worth the effort though!

http://www.runoffgroove.com/ginger.html
  14. Marton

Marton

Another vote for the Pork Loin here !
  15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Tubescreamers, and clones thereof, are quite nice when set subtly and always on. Barely notice it until you turn it off and you suddenly lose harmonic richness. The digitech bad monkey is a good place to start, or the quite new Ibanez bass TS - with the added bonus of a clean blend.

I'm also quite intrigued by the forthcoming MXR deluxe bass overdrive. Could be the bass OD to beat - going by their other recent bass pedals.
  16. farfadet

farfadet

Barber LTD SR. Out of production but i guess you can find one used or something similar from david. Love mine. It's always on.
  17. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

not being sarcastic at all but my fav subtle o/d is found within a WMD Geiger Counter. For less than 150 another one I use is a fuzz as well: a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Dial it back...WAY BACK and you have a very nice subtle overdriven tone.
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    a Cochrane Timmy would be my choice and they can be purchased new for under $150.
  19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Digitech hardwire overdrive CM-2.
  20. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

i liked the rhino more than the pork loin from videos. bought the rhino and my sound guy hated it. said it sucked out my sub frequencies.
  21. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker.