Always-On vs. Selective Use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Feb 10, 2014.

How Do You Use Pedals?

1. To Enhance Tone

69 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. For More Obvious Effects

62 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I Consistently Do All Of The Above

133 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I'm curious. When I use my pedals, they're just about always on. MXR Bass Compressor, Fulltone OCD, and Sansamp BDDI. They are each huge parts of my tone. But looking through threads, I often forget that I appear to be one of few who views pedals like this. Most of you/us use them sparingly or only on certain songs, especially with effects like flangers, choruses, delays, fuzzes, etc. So I'm wondering, how many of you use your pedals to define your sound/tonality, and how many just use them for more obvious traditional effect styles?

2. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I have one I never turn off. Everybody is different though.

3. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I have eight pedals on my board and none of them are always on. I run a very clean, hi-fi tone 90% of the time but like to kick on various shades of dirt or a bit of modulation now and then to emphasize a part.

However, it seems to me that always-on preamps and dirt pedals are incredibly common on these forums, so you may have just seen an uncharacteristic run of posts.

4. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

When I play with my metal band I've always the compressor on and sometimes I add a chorus and reverb. Sometimes I add a litttle bit of overdrive for getting a more hard sound...We're working on new songs for the new record and , for the moment , the overdrive is always on...For our new stuff the bass overdrive is part of the overall bass tone.

In my cover band I use a clean MXR DI+ simulation which beefs up the clean sound of my passive basses.

Sometimes I just plug the bass straight to the amp...I like to use fx but I don't want to be dependent on them..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Volpe25

Volpe25

As a general rule, when playing in a band type setting, the only pedals I would leave on would be an EQ and Compression and then use the effects needed for certain songs. But when playing solo stuff I have a reverb that's constantly on and at the end of the chain. It's not enough to change the tone and it's not too audible when playing in the low register but really enhances and adds depth to the high

7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I don't have one specific pedal that's always on but I don't ever play clean so there's always at least one on, usually 3 or 4.

8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

The only pedal that stays on is my compressor. Everything else goes on when the need arises.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I use two boards. One is small, and has 2 "always on" pedals- a compressor and eq. The 2nd board is optional, but has all the fun stuff, synths, filters, octaves, even an arpeggiator and delay. There is no right answer, just use what you like.

10. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Only use effect for specific sounds. I usually do not have an always on effect.

11. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I only use my compressor, reverb and delay at all times. . . and just a little reverb and delay to fill out the tone for my ear. There are many others that are used - but only as the song dictates. I surely don't need my POG on at all times!!

12. winterburn69

winterburn69

It all depends what I'm playing. I've found since I got my Boss CS-2 it's usually on, but not always. Might also so be a honeymoon phase, I've only had it a few weeks. My Fulltone Bass-Drive Mosfet also gets LOTS of use, but once again, not always.

13. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    I always use pedals as always on tone shapers too.

I used to stack a few different distortion and/or eq to create my tone but now I'm down to just the Brimstone XD-1 on its own for my main project.

14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Ditto. My Diamond Comp never shuts off, and the rest vary - some are on a lot, and others for just a song or two here and there.

15. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I have 3 pedals always on: SFX Microthumpinator, Empress Compressor, EBS Valvedrive.
    and 8 effects I use momentarily in songs. I voted "I consistelely do all the above." Not sure how consitent this is though, 3 vs 8...haha But to clarify I am not tap dancing during the whole gig or anything.

16. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I have a compressor that always stays on, a pedal for light overdrive, a russian big muff for over-the-top fuzz, a wah and a 10-band eq. Those go on/off depending on what I'm playing.

17. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Similar setup here,
    micro thrumpinator, B7K (slitly dirty) and pwnzor always on.

Then I have 4 that I punch on or off (octave, od, fuzz and filter).

18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

Some compression and just a tad of overdrive and/or fuzz is all I ask from a pedal.

19. Richard Walters

Richard Walters Gold Supporting Member

EQ, compressor and reverb always on. Chorus & Tremelo for fretless most but not all of the time. Other effects as needed though I almost never combine two or more elective effects.

20. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

I don't use pedals.

21. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Nice! I always wanted the Pwnzor but I couldn't get my hands on it..=/