Am I being overly Paranoid...?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

For the last year or so I have stuck to power amps only with a Tone Hammer di Pedal as pre.

However, lately I have been thinking of making a change back to a (small but powerful) integrated head... especially since I have been building a 3u amp case and realizing its not ideal for portability.

The main reason I've been sticking to power amps is because of perceived reliability. If one half of the amp goes down I could always just use the other half. Plus with a power amp hooked up to a pedal sized preamp like the ToneHammer, its a pretty bullet proof rig.

Yet, I have this nagging feeling I am just being overly paranoid about an integrated amp going down at a gig. That paranoia is limiting my options.

So... am I just being overly paranoid?

Just FYI the amps I am currently considering are the:

markbass sd800
    gk mb800
    carvin b2000

I should note that I prefer big power... like no less than 800w at 4 ohms.
  2. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Yes, you are being paranoid.......But I like the pre/power amp myself. You've already had the GK mb800 I think, so if you were happy with it, get another. If you're just going to rack it though, you might as well stay with your current set-up. To me the cool thing about a small head it no rack and light weight. If a MB800 is short on power for some of your bigger gigs, just use it as a pre into your power amp for those gigs......
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Paranoid yes, what if the PA power amp has a power supply failure instead of "an amp side" ? If the failure is bad enough on one side or if the amp's power supply fails the result is the same as an integrated, no amp power output. ;)
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Get a good passive DI along with your amp, so if you do experience a failure at a gig, you're still covered.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not paranoid as such. Your rig has the advantage of twin amp channels. Another advantage is you can use any other power amp or amp head with the pre and carry on.

For paranoid backup you might grab a mb200 for relative pennies and leave it under your driver's seat.
  7. rpsands

rpsands

I've had two amps fail at gigs over my career, and none of them were when I used pre/power rigs.

That said, the integrated amps are cheap enough nowadays you can just get two.

The primary reason to use pre/power should be wanting to get away from the baked-in tones that most bass heads force on you.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take two heads to every gig. I've never had one fail, but if one does fail, it'll be when I don't bring a spare.
  9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I've been carrying two amps in my 4-space rack bag for a year or so now. I just ordered a 2-space rack bag and I'm going to leave the 7Pro at home, and just bring the ShuttleMax 9.2 . Maybe I'll pick up something tiny like an MB200 as insurance.

It's funny, I always thought the link most likely to fail in a pre-power setup would be the cable between the preamp and power amp.
  10. dropbass

dropbass

I bring two heads or a preamp to run into the mains if needed
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I figure there is way more chance of my car being broken into or stolen than my amp dying. Plus I don't live far from downtown, and most gigs aren't life or death serious, so a 20min unscheduled set break is fine by me if my amp should ever die midset, which it never has done. The really serious gigs have full PA so I could always DI out of my pedals and run home on the scheduled break, if I could be bothered.
  12. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

This!

Thinking of a second channel of a power amp as a backup is not good planning. The entire power amp could fail.

I current gig through a pre/power rack setup. But:

I always take two heads to a gig. I always have a backup bass as well. And since my rig consists of 2xGS112 cab, you could say I have a backup cab.

Although it is a little extra work, it never hurts to be prepared.
  13. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Just remember, just cuz you think your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
  14. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Torin,

I know this wasn't on your list, but the PF-800 may suite you tonal needs really well also.
  15. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

A light & shallow rack makes a difference, especially with a light power amp.
  16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

+1. With the price of micros, it's no biggie to have a spare, which can be whatever you can get cheap. Why not use your MB800 and pick up something small and used as a spare. Even if the spare is a less powerful head, it will get you through a gig if you need it, and it will likely never be used.
  17. 12bass

12bass

Still think that a Streamliner 900 might be a good fit for you....
  18. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Carvin ...... but I would go with BX1500.....much more diverse
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

Ha. Yeah I wish I didnt sell that mb800 last summer. :crying:

I have my eye on the bx1500 as well.

Its weird because I have been 110% satisfied with my bass and my cabs, but I just can't lock in on the 'right' amp. :help:
  20. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The last time an amp went out on me was 1979. Acoustic 370.

I never bring a spare.
  21. mbelue

mbelue

I'm very surprised you haven't picked up a B2000 yet.
    Lightweight, even if it is full size.
    Gobs of power, and 2 ohm stable.(You can get a second 12sub;) )
    Not overly colored preamp, simple tone controls.
    Just about has you're name on it.
    The loud Canadian'eh seems to love his.