1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Am I being scammed on TB?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by smeet, Jan 31, 2013.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I put a bass up for sale, and an apparently local TBer with only one post since 2007 bought it. Communication was good and he paid promptly via paypal. He said I could deliver it to his friend who was just 30 miles from my work, so I said I would do that to save shipping etc.

The payment was made a few hours ago, and I sent a note reminding him to get me his friend's address and phone #. He just sent me this PM:

I have a bad feeling, but I'm not sure what I should do. The money is (apparently) in my paypal account. Buy what if the bass gets picked up and after it's gone, the money disappears from my paypal account?Does this seem legit? How can I protect myself? What should I do? How can I verify that this is real? Arg.

Thanks, Sumit

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

He's either a scammer or his account got hacked. What you posted is the standard foreign scammer form. Do nothing and wait.

3. Fredy

Fredy

I once tried to sell a drum set, the guy wanted me to ship it from denmark to his home i london. He paided with paypal and i thought i was all good, when i send the set he apparently somehow drew back the money. Havent seen the money or drumset since.

Get the guys phone number and call him for a chat to make sure it sounds cool.

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

On second thought, move all of the money into your bank account NOW. Then notify admins here. DO NOT ship the bass.
    Edit: don't try to grab the cash. Just ignore him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmx6

mmx6

I dealt with a scammer who scammed a crash cymbal a few years ago

He gave me a VoIP phone number to call, he had some weird accent

He paid by Paypal and guaranteed a safe transaction

In the end he got his money back and my crash cymbal for free.

I tried to contact UPS, but the package was already delivered (it was a no signature package)

I would ignore this buyer, most likely a scam

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the idea of putting the money in your bank. Then I would insist on delivering it to him in a public place. If you take the money, the guy owns the bass so you don't want to steal it from him.

8. xroads

xroads

I have no paypal account, but this paypal system seems to be scammer friendly if they can withdraw money from your account...why do you guys use it anyway then?

9. David Jayne

David Jayne

.......unless he's a pro internet thief in Latvia. Then, you do.

10. smeet

Thanks guys.
    Should I report this transaction to paypal? I had started to fill out the form, but this all makes me feel weird, and I don't know what I might do that would inadvertently get ME in some kind of trouble...

11. smeet

By the way, I can't ignore the buyer, as he just send a sizable sum of money to my paypal account. Just in case he is legit, I don't want to be a jerk and look like I'm trying to steal his money...

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

contact PP and reject the payment, IMO. gl.

13. moret

moret

This is a classic scam. Ignore it. Paypal sucks as a payment method like this. You can try to ship a log of wood or a brick, as soon the scammer gets the shippingnumber he'll reverse the payment.

14. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

+1

You do not have to accept the payment.

15. bassteban

bassteban

Red flags: Changing the plan(asking to deliver to his friend, then switching to having DHL pickup..), and the general similarity to common scams. I'd maybe contact any/all authorities w/possible jurisdiction, check your options regarding the money you've received, and if it still doesn't smell right, refund the money and tell the guy you've changed your mind- which would be accurate, correct? Please keep us posted.

16. smeet

If I refund the payment, do I risk losing that money? I don't mean the imaginary money he paid, I mean might that amount of money get taken out of my account somehow?

17. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

tHIS IS A DEFINITE SCAM , DO NOT SHIP THE BASS , ONC3E YOU SHIP IT HE'LL PULL THE MONEY BACK FROM THE ACCOUNT YOU'LL BE OUT THE BASS AND MONEY ,,,THIS WAS A COMMON CRAIGSLIST SCAM ORIGINATING fROM OF ALL PLACES ETHIOPIA

18. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It really does look like the standard Internet/Craigslist scam lingo. Just hold the dough and contact the buyer personally and explain that there has been a rash of instances where the seller was put in identical situations. It smells fishy for sure. Contacting PayPal and forum admins is the best idea.

19. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

No. The transaction has a number and you are reversing the transaction and voiding it. If he tried to file a claim after that, his claim would be rejected because you refunded the transaction.

however if you put the money in your bank or take it out of paypal, Paypal can and will take the money from your linked bank account to cover the transaction when/if the potential scammer files his claim.

20. smeet

It's weird, until this last PM he seemed legit, asked about the truss rod, called me by name, and then this scammy sounding message...

Gack. I've reported it to paypal, I'll call them in the morning.
    I'm nervous about transferring the money to my account, as that may somehow indicate I've accepted the money or that I'm "legitimizing" the transaction...

Man, sometimes people make me really sad. I shouldn't even have to be suspicious like this about anyone...

21. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I would call Paypal and get their feedback on the transaction ... insure the funds are real, are yours, and are not revocable in any way ...

... contact the mods here to make them aware of your concerns in case there is backlash, and get any information that they have available and can give you on the member that purchased to help you with identification ..

... then, when and if you are comfortable enough with the information you have, at that point continue with the sale ... I would insist upon a phone call to the buyer and then insist upon the original agreement to deliver the bass be followed, and get it in writing ... take someone with you as a witness to document, and then get a written receipt from the party that takes the bass that they have received it ...

... you will have confirmation the funds are yours and are non retrievable by the sender, written directions from the buyer as to where/how/to whom to deliver the bass, as signed receipt confirming your delivery of the bass from the delegated recipient, and a witness that will confirm all of the above ...

... whats the worse case scenario if you take your time to make sure everything is legit and hold the bass until you are sure?? ... bad feedback on here for slow delivery?? ... the mods will be aware of your concerns, and your current feedback speaks for itself ... protect yourself as you are in control as long as you still have the bass ... JMHO ... good luck, and continue to keep us informed if there is an issue please