Am I crazy.... Ibanez SR Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timsound, Mar 23, 2012.

1. timsound

timsound

I have been playing for a long time. I have 2 Musicman basses, Geddy Lee Jazz and have had several others over the years. I play in church, newer rock contemporary.

Yesterday I went to a bass shop locally that specializes in Boutique basses...Looking for something new and different. I played Smith's, Roscoe's, an Andrew Gouche MTD Kingston, Elricks and they all sounded good, some better than others.

Today I went to my local large chain shop, for a few odds and ends. I saw an upper end MTD Kingston that I played and then a saw a Ibanez SR705 on the wall. I plugged it in and was blown away by the sound, the look, and construction. I know that the woods are better, better electronics, etc on the higher end stuff.

Am I cracking up that a $800 bass, can play as nice, look almost as nice, and sound as nice as instruments that cost 4 times as much. Frankly the only reason I did not buy it on the spot is because I think I need to make an appointment with my psychiatrist?

Anyone else feel this way?

2. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Get ahold of a prestige or a NT model and you'll really flip. Great basses at a low price point. Nothing wrong with ibanez.

3. KingRazor

KingRazor

The SR505 plays just as well and sounds about the same, and can be had as low as $300 used.

Ibanez makes great basses, IMO.

Every time I go to GC, I play a variety of basses, but I can't ever find any that play better than the Ibanez Soundgears. The EBMM Sterlings and a hand full of Ps and Js have come pretty close, but I've yet to find a bass that was more comfortable to play, all the way up to the $2500 mark. I've never played a $3000+ bass, so I can't compare there.

The tone is good, but not really what I'm going for in a bass. To me it just sounds "generic" and lacks the "character" that Fenders and EBMMs have. But that's just personal preference.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Congratulations! As Obi-wan famously said, you've taken your first step into a larger world. :)

Seriously, though. I think Ibanez SR basses are great. But for me it's because I place a lot more emphasis on playability, weight and comfort than many other players do. I find, though, that any of the SR line (500 and above) are really pretty sweet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I *really* regret selling my SR505M. It was an awesome bass. I'm thinking about buying an SR506 but can't decide.

7. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

I haven't had my hands on an Ibanez that I didn't like. Always wanted to try the Doug Wimbish model....

8. Doc Ellis

Doc Ellis

Love my SR506. When I played it, it just felt right and I knew it was right for me.

9. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Ibanez SR basses are the greatest IMO. The quality is outstanding for the price, and I'm seriously considering the SR700 with the 18 month no interest plan that Sweetwater has going. I love the crisp clear highs, and deep lows of the Bart system w/3band EQ not to mention the super nice slim necks (SR5's included), and the smaller lighter bodies. I have a SR405 I'll never part with.

So no - you're not crazy. You're just one of the many that feel the same way.

10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I just bought a new mahogany 505. Played every 5-string in three music stores before I did. I kept picking it up and comparing everything to it. Nothing could beat it at its price. Even some that were twice the price didn't appeal to me as much.

11. waleross

waleross

Never played one. Good re-sale value?

12. timsound

timsound

Not really, about as good as any Japanese bass.

You should play one.

13. hip63

hip63

Love my SR505, great bass that just about anyone can afford

a winner in my book

hip63 :p

14. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

I play an Ibanez BTB, and the build quality as well as the sound are unmatched on the price range and a lot of more expensive basses. You're definitely not crazy!

15. tdub0199

tdub0199

I wish I still had my SR505.....

16. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

+1

This thread is making me sad!

And it's making me want to go and buy another SR bass.

17. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

I'm an Ibanez fan. Prefer the BTB's but they're stepping up their game across the whole line.

I got an early model BTB MIJ. I've had it for 12 years now. It's still striaght and solid as the day it left the factory. It's my poor man's Roscoe :)

[​IMG]

18. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

I love going to Bass Specialties :) But yeah, the Ibby's are nice. There are a ton of super nice basses out there for not tons of money.

19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Don't worry too much about resale, you probably won't sell... My son has an SRX3EXQM1 that is great, got it at GC on clearance because it was missing a knob. Sounds great, plays great, looks great.

20. jperala

jperala

+1

I have BTB400qm and OMG what bass is it :bassist:

21. timsound

timsound

Love the Triad!