1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by madmarvin, Apr 4, 2014.

1. madmarvin

madmarvin

I own an old mid 80s Hartke 410 XL cabinet. I like the way it sounds and it has become a part of my tone. I however hate how much it weighs.

Currently I am running my rig in a bi-amp configuration with a 215 on the bottom and the 410 on top. Honestly it's probably too much cab for the high pass:

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396656923.358619.jpg

I was thinking of having two 210 cabs built and loading the Hartke drivers into them. I got a pretty good price from LDS.

Is this crazy? Should I just drop $200 on a used Hartke 210?

Has anyone ever popped out those older Hartke speakers and used them in something else?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

What is the old saying? If you have to ask.....

3. Bigskybassguy

Bigskybassguy

You're not crazy for wanting two 210s. Lightweight, easy to pack up. It's all the rage!
    The new cabs, however, need to be built quite precisely around the Hartke driver specs. Thiele parameters and all that. Don't just stick them in a box that happens to have two 10" holes cut in the front. You may be in for a tremendous letdown.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Yep. You're a nut case.

NEXT!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madmarvin

madmarvin

Understandable. I sent the specs to LDS and what I wanted so before I had anything built I would have it tuned to my needs.

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    You could always saw the cab in half. ;)

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

two 210's stacked tall

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I consider your plan flawed. Sell your 4x10 with it's thirty year old drivers and use the money to fund a pair of 2x10 cabinets with the latest, more capable, drivers.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I think one 2x10 cab would be enough for your top end. You'll have a couple of backup speakers just in case and save some cash.

I suggest you have the 2x10 made so the 10s are vertically placed and so it fits(and matches the width) on top of your 2x15 cab standing upright as well. Then all speakers will be vertically aligned and give you better dispersion.

11. madmarvin

madmarvin

Not interested in 210s stacked vert, I am keeping a 215 on the bottom and biamping into the 410 or 210. But I guess you're right it could be an option.

How is it flawed? I understand if you think it's stupid, but saying flawed implies that there is something fundamentally impossible.

12. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Those drivers are getting long in the tooth to spend good money having new cabs built.
    Flawed doesn't have to mean "fundamentally impossible", it can mean not well thought through. ;)

13. chris_b

chris_b

The bottom line is if you update any part of your rig the sound will change. You can't get away from that and if the 410 is getting too heavy then surely the 215 can't be far behind.

It looks like you're running 2 rigs. I don't know how loud you're playing but a modern rig will come in at less than half the weight, as much volume and more tone.

The likes of Greenboy and Barefaced could probably do what you need in 1 cab.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A person named "madmarvin" has to ask "am I crazy?" :p

15. madmarvin

madmarvin

Lol.

Yeah, I just wish there more of Greenboy/Bergantino etc stuff around to test out.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I'm not terribly far away from you. I have a fEARful 15/6 and 15sub.

17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    This. BassmanPaul, word again.

18. madmarvin

madmarvin

Ok maybe we could work something out I have clients in Waterloo and Seneca Falls.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Cool. We also play regularly in the area, although we haven't done Rochester recently.

20. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
  21. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

I'm missing something here... You are carrying around 2 amps, a 4x10, a 2x15 and you think cutting the 4x into 2- 2x10s will make it "easier to lug around? But the larger 2x15 is fine? Huh? 2 separate bass heads is ok too?