Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 28, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I was out at one of my favorite stores on Saturday looking for a Jazz Bass. I tried every jazz bass in the store and a few other basses as well. I tried the 2012 American Standard with the Custom Shop pickups, an older version American Standard with the older pickups. Mexican, Squire everything I could get my hands on. First of all I discovered I didn't like the new pickups on the American Standard, the older style sounded more lively to me.
    Here is the shocker though, my favorite jazz was a Squiere CV James Johnson model. I tried it head to head with the American Standards and the Mexican Jazz Basses and I just liked the Squire better. I always take my time buying new instruments, so I walked away to think about it. I will probably go back this week and buy it.
    BTW I never heard of James Johnson or Biffy Clyro.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

are you crazy? i can't tell yet. what was it about the squier you liked better other than 'i just liked the squire better'?

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Squier my friend, Squier.

4. slobake

Mostly I liked the tone better, especially with both pickups at 3/4 and the tone knob a about half way up. I tried played a riff starting with C on the E string. It goes C, G#, D# F, that is how I usually play it on my Preciscion. Then I played the same riff on the D and G Strings and it had a nice tone to my ear as well. I was finger picking it, but I also liked the tone I got from a pick, something I don't like on my Precision with half rounds. I also expiremented with just one pickup at a time and can see myself using the neck pickup for more modern type tones. This is going to be my second bass and I think with my MIM Classic 50's P and this bass I will have a pretty wide sonic pallete.
    I also liked the neck a lot. The frets seemed pretty even and I liked the dimensions of the neck. To me it didn't feel much different than the American Standard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slobake

Thank you sir. :p

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you liked it better; good for you and your wallet: enjoy that!
    Squier have been doing some good stuff lately.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  9. slobake

10. NWB

NWB

I have a CV jazz (same as the JJ) and I sometimes consider "upgrading" to an Am. Standard.

But then I play my CV and decide that there is no upgrading that sweet bass. I like the tone better than just about every passive jazz I've tried. A bass that cheap shouldn't be that good - but it is!

BTW - I love the look of the JJ. It's too bad it wasn't out when I bought my CV or I would've been all over it.

11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

S'perty! Get it and rock it!

12. blastoff99

blastoff99

You ask if you're crazy. But your sig area says this: "what other people think of me is none of my business"

:bag:

13. slobake

Okay , you're right it makes no sense. I am crazy, but I don't care that you think so. :p

well maybe not too much :hiding:

14. slobake

My wife just picked up the bass for me, man I love that woman. I'm having a hard time focusing at work. I liked the way it sounds now. I have an extra set of D'ddario half rounds ... nope I think I'll keep it with the rounds and keep the halfrounds for my Precision.

Attached Files:

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1!

I love my Squiers and wish I loved them more than my much more expensive basses!

16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

That's the hidden joy of being to addicted to things made of wood, you never really know what you're getting until you get it in your hands :) If it was really the best 9to you) in the shop, maybe you should have grabbed it then and there so it doesn't become the best to someone else ;) The ones that deserve to be noticed have a way of getting noticed, if you know what I mean

17. slobake

Gotta love the folks at Gelb music. Not only where they $20.00 cheaper than everyone else, they gave me a good deal on new strings as well.

18. 3tsb

3tsb

You don't know what you're missing! "Only Revolutions" has been in my top 10 since it came out.

19. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

There's a reason why audiophile magazines never do blind comparisons between cheap gear and expensive gear....

If you like the feel and sound of the Squier best, that's all that matters. You may well be crazy but not because you buy based on feel and sound rather than decal and price tag.

Congrats on finding the right bass.

20. slobake

Thanks, I'll check it out.

21. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

You're mucho crazy but it has nothing to do with your squier love. Weirdo. :D