1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Am i doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Madro413, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Madro413

Madro413

I used to have a GK backline head and a peavy 4x10 cab. Had to sell cuz the cab didn't fit in my new car. I now own a Ampeg B2-rE head and backline 2x10blx2 & 1x15blx2 cabs. I'm not getting much power at all. It's not the head, cables, bass or cords. I've used a 10x6 cab and i can turn it past 1.5, with my cabs i got to crank it to almost 7 or 8. What could be wrong? I'm usually pretty good about this but I'm baffled.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Check the polarities of the cabs and the speaker cords.
    With a 9V battery, touch the poles with the speaker cord plug.
    - to the sleeve + to the tip, all the cones should move outwards (or at least to the same direction).

Regards
    Sam

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

I'm pretty sure GK was a more powerful head, even if it was the backline series.
    On another note, mixing cabs is never a good idea.
    You should have went for 2 x 210 or 2 x 115. That could be the culprit.
    If you check the TB threads, you'll see plenty of reasoning on why this is not advised.

4. Madro413

Madro413

The gk actually couldn't be used. It only had a 8ohm rating and 1 output. I love my head now...just not the fact that it sounds 100x better and louder through my boys cab. I think I'm just going to trade and see if i can get a 4x10 cab that will fit my car.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. schecter5string

schecter5string

Wait! Do the battery test first. A loss of volume could be because the cabs are out of polarity. It's and easy test and easy fit. Search the amps forum for "battery test" do some quick reading and test the cabs first.

7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

If it comes to this, consider instead just replacing the 1x15 with a second matching 2x10. You can probably get the two smaller cabs into your car more easily than a 4x10 cab, and there are also advantages to stacking a pair of 2x10's on end to create a tall linear array.

(Definitely try schecter5string's suggestion first, though!)

9. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

You could definitely be getting phasing issues mixing 10s and 15s. I know my volume went up when I went straight 10s.

10. Madro413

Madro413

I did the battery test...the 2 10 move different from each other. How would i go about fixing?

11. David Jayne

David Jayne

Check to see which way the 15 moves. Swap the +/- wires on the 10 that doesn't match.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

That could also indicate one of the tens has an open voice coil and is moving in response to the ten that is working. Check the offending driver, with the battery, out of the cabinet.

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

^ the BLX cabs were entry level budget cabs. You could also leave the battery connected a little longer, if one the speakers don't stay pushed out or sucked in that driver is not working (burned out or disconnected). It should move and stay there until you remove the connection to the battery.