am i in the right place?? to ask about rigs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gregmon79, Jan 6, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is a really good way to search google for a good rack for my two heads?? Like what is a good term to use to search for a good rack and find a good deal? I type in "buy rack for bass head amp" and I get a lot of BS. Any suggestions?
  2. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

I would try the phrase "nice rack". Just kidding. "Amp rack" or "rack case" should be good search terms to get you started.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

4. Jaco D

Jaco D

You could improve your chances of getting non-BS info by being more specific. Are you looking for flight cases? ABS portables? Even bass/guitar/amp components would fit in some racks made for computer/telecom equipment so you have to be clear in what you're looking for. Of course, "racks" can mean beef ribs or....nevermind.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Do your amps have rack ears? Standard is 19". Search on that. "19inch rack case" ABS -motherboard -PC. Computers use 19" as well.
  7. IPYF

IPYF

2nd hand is best for rack units. Usually they go for less than 50% of retail over here on the personal 2nd hand market. Depends what amps you have too. If it's something like a GK, that can get quite warm you might want to look for a rack with more spaces. I have a 4 space for my 1001 and I wouldn't be putting anything else in there. It's like an oven as it stands.
  8. arai

arai

^^^Three great suggestions
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Oven-like is bad dude! Sounds like the fan is recycling hot air within the case. Maybe you can customise the airflow to force the fan to take only fresh air.
  10. arai

arai

Yeah like drill some small holes in the rack case
  11. IPYF

IPYF

My rack is a loaner so I think the drilling might be a touch on the rude side. At this stage it's not an issue; it's just a bit stinky since the head is painted on the inside and the paint has gotten a bit scorched. If I wanted to put something else in the rack though I'd be pretty hesitant.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That's one toasty amp, nothing kills amps like excess heat.

I bet you can pack some cardboard around inside the rack case so as to only get the cold air at the bottom available to the fan intake.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a gk 1001 RB II and a bassmaster 400 yorkie. I do believe their both 19" cause both ears match up. I'm aware I'd have to have a rack that fits 3 for the cause of the fan placement. I just want something that I can lug the two around in at once. Something relatively inexpensive as well. Nothing special.
  14. IPYF

IPYF

I'm not sure if you're aware but most bass heads take up about 2 rack spaces. The 1001 certainly takes up over half of my 4 space unit. If I wanted to put a 2nd amp in there I'd be looking at a 5 space unit.

Gator cases are quite good. I use a WW Rockcase on loan from one of my guitarists. I've no complaints with it apart from the smell. You can get custom flight cases made. The same afore mentioned guitarist has an 8-space that he had made. It's beautiful and so well padded, but it's unbelievably heavy. I suppose if you've got 6 separate bits of tech you want the extra padding.
  15. tom once dead

tom once dead

I've got a gator case and although it has done the job so far, I wouldn't buy another Gator. One of the handles has come loose and the locks on one of the lids literally fell apart into many pieces, both happening after the warranty had run out.