Am I ready to start band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tropic owl, Jan 13, 2013.

1. tropic owl

tropic owl

I am new to this, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum!

I started off playing in a kind of band with a couple kids pushing me into it with no experience and no drummer. I was terrible haha. It happened a second time as well with two other kids but they through me on vocals. Still no drummer! I learned my timing through the second pair of kids for sure then that stopped and I started taking lessons which I feel helped me a lot. I played with one drummer before as well he didn't really know what he was doing though and I had a small amp at the time.

Anyways...... I have been playing for a year and a half now. I don't really have experience playing with a drummer but I play along to some songs and lock in that way and It seems like I have improved. I know how to play a twelve blues scale in different keys. I know some scales and where most of the notes on the bass are and how to read chord sheets and play along. I feel like I could follow a drummer. I can play along to couple songs by the who, a few songs by rancid, and some others as well and bits and parts of a good amount of songs.

I want to start a punk band, I know a kid in my area who wants to as well and he plays guitar and has been for a long time and has band experience and live gig experience. He seems to not be able to find anyone in the area who plays who is not already in a band. He also doesn't know I started playing the bass either. I am thinking about asking to jam my only concern is if he is way better than me and I still need drummer experience which seems like is hard to find in our area. I started off playing with a guitar player when I had no idea what I was doing but I have improved a lot since then too.

Any suggestions?

2. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    If you're gonna start a band with very little experience, might as well do yourself a favor and make it a punk band... the worse you are, the more punk fans are gonna like it!

3. tropic owl

tropic owl

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

well i dont know about that. :rollno:

why worry about working out or not just yet? you have no experience, go out there and go for it. my advice, play because you like to, not to get famous or make money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

go for it! like vishuddha said, it doesn't really matter how bad you are if you're playing punk. PLus, punk basslines can often be insanely easy. But the real question to ask yourself is, do you want to? If you're not committed, and someone is pushing you into it, it can be more of a chore than fun.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Let's see. Are you ready to start a band?

You have an instrument?

Then yes, you are ready to start a band.

The fact is you can woodshed in your basement 24/7 for 48 1/2 years and it will not teach you what you will learn by playing with other musicians.

Surround yourself with musicians who are better than you. It will make you work harder.

8. praisebass

praisebass

That's how punk musicians learn to play; by starting bands.

9. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I think you should ask the other guy in the area if he wants to jam. Don't call it a band yet - just ask if he'd like to jam. If he wants to, agree on about 5 songs to work on, and work them out while he does.

Then get together and do the jam. You'll have absolutely nothing to lose. If you are not ready for this, it will be a learning experience, and nothing lost. If it works out, it could lead to more.

Outside of this, I would add:
    If your goal really is to play in a band, be sure to allocate a good portion of your practice time to learning songs. Not just learning bits and scales, but learning full songs. Then practice to the songs start to finish without stopping - until you can do them in your sleep. That will prepare you for the band.

10. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
  11. tropic owl

tropic owl

thanks for the feedback everyone I probably will ask him soon. I am def. in it for the fun and commitment and not money.

12. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

+1

13. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

If you can play Rancid, you are ready. Have fun with it!

14. tropic owl

tropic owl

i can play old friend, time bomb, and roots radical from start to finish by rancid with little mistakes here and there. I'm currently learning tenderloin and I can play yelling in my ear by operation ivy. tryed learning the solo to maxwell murder but I am not ready for that lol to fast for me

15. fkh006

fkh006

This, I refer to it as "playing up"

16. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

What Floyd said. Yes, you are ready to start a band. Playing with others is the only way to truly get better. Just be honest with the other players about your level of experience.

Have fun, rock on.

17. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

It beats not starting a band.

Just be prepared for it to be a learning experience. I did it once........once.

Good luck and have fun!!!

18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Go for it. Playing with other musicians will really help you to learn faster. And keep having fun!

19. the yeti

the yeti

20. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

Sounds like you know some things and can handle your instrument, so if you want to be playing with others, go for it.

You don't even have to call it a band, just see if the guitarist wants to start jamming.

Everyone else is right. Nothing will really get you going and pushing yourself like playing with others. Nothing can really take the place of it. You'll learn and you'll learn fast.

And if a full band that you enjoy being part of arises from it at some point, so much the better, if that's something you want.

When I first started learning music years ago, I was playing acoustic guitar. My aunt and uncle were local country and bluegrass players. really skilled. All I knew was a handful of open chords, but that was enough to keep up. They would do all the fancy stuff and signal the changes to me. I really learned a lot about rhythm guitar and also listening to and watching other musicians while keeping up my own part. Definitely skills I find useful as a bassist.:)

21. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I would be less than half the bassist I am today were it not for the challenge of my last band. If you're in it to have fun, and they are too, then definitely get with people better than you, 'cause there's no pressure.
    But don't join a band where you're better than the lead guitarist...His ego will force him to drop you.

And just remember, if it ain't a j-bass with flats and a pick...well...you're doing it wrong ;)

:bag: