Am I Spoiled?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarcTheRogue, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MarcTheRogue

MarcTheRogue

Hey guys, I felt I needed to come to bass players for this question. This year, I have been given a 5 string Rogue, a 5 string Peavey, an acoustic Samick, a Washburn P-bass, and a Samick P/J-bass. I've also been given a Kustom 8x10 cab and 200 watt head. Now my brother is considering to get me a six string Warwick bass. I am only 17 years old right now, still in high school, unable to find work or even dream of paying for any of the gear given to me in 30 years.

Am I spoiled? I sort of feel guilty for getting all of these gifts. Most of these came from my brother. I'm massively humbled, but I feel totally undeserving of all this, and even guilty. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with me?
  2. James_E

James_E

Spoiled? Maybe. But more just "lucky". At least you don't have the attitude that you are OWED this and DESERVE it. You are grateful and humble. Life won't always be this nice to you so enjoy it.

However... now that you have it, you need to earn it after the fact. Play the gear, become a good player. Don't sell it off for booze and women.
  3. Bhazulle

Bhazulle Supporting Member

No. If you were spoiled you might feel the need to come here and gloat to 40 something year old men who scrimp and scrape and go without food to buy gear. As a father of a once 17 year old son I can only offer you this bit of advice. Think back on the last time you were told no for something. How did you react? Has it ever happened even? Did you end up getting it anyways? Should answer your own question at some point in that musing.
  4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

This sounds just like my Grandparents with me when I was about 10 with American Girl Dolls. Yes, you are spoiled.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Well, sounds like you are feeling guilty for having nice things fall into your lap. If you use them all to their full potential then that's great. If some of them are just sitting around and your feeling guilty perhaps you could find a school or music teacher that knows of kids that can't afford a proper instrument and donate what you don't use or feel you don't deserve.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

No, you aren't spoiled at all. It sounds to me you have a much better mindset than an average 17 year old and you are very appreciative of what you have been given. You don't seem to think you are entitled to anything.
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Why would you feel guilty? Are you somehow working to undermine your brother while accepting these gifts? Are you secretly selling these basses to finance a drug habit?

Instead of feeling guilty, you should be high-fiving yourself every morning to be lucky enough to have a brother who gives you gear like this.
  9. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

If you appreciate it and value it for what it is and practice and play and use it then no not at all. If you let it sit and collect dust or trade it in for PS4 games or spray paint it because you are bored then yes. The bass balls are in your court and time will tell.
  10. verycoolname

verycoolname

Here's the definition of "spoiled" (well actually a definition of the the verb "spoil") from Webster's dictionary...

to give (someone, such as a child) everything that he or she wants: to have a bad effect on (someone) by allowing too many things or by not correcting bad behavior

From the definition it would seem one is only "spoiled" if they are asking for these gifts, and throwing fits if they didn't receive what they wanted. The key word of course is "want." You did ask-or beg-your brother for these gifts. You're also not demonstrating "bad behavior" in fact, you're being quite humble and appreciative. The fact that you're actually slightly uncomfortable with his gift giving shows that you're not spoiled. You're just lucky, and your brother is very generous...enjoy it while it lasts. :p
  11. djole94hns

djole94hns

Trust me, you are not even close to spoiled. As someone before me said, if you do not wish to play bass, donate them to some kids who cant afford the gear or donate it to a music school that is not doing very well gear-wise. Also, try playing bass. Trust me, I tought it would not be worth it when I started like few months ago, and now I am already in a blues band and jamming it up :) low-end sounds great!
    It's better to try and fail then do not try at all!
  12. pedroims

pedroims

You are not spoiled If people is given you all those basses because they recognizing some talent in you, it will be a different story if they are giving you the basses because they think it can be a way to get you out of trouble or because you are at pain in the neck, you know , the brother that is always crying for something.
  13. Gundecker

Gundecker

I read that you can appreciate your situation,so no you aren't spoiled and seem very grateful.
    If by chance you are over whelmed by all this and feel the need to unburden.... what model Peavey do you have?
  14. PAC

PAC Banned

I've always wanted a brother. Just sayin. It sounds like you and your brother have a great relationship. Cherish it.

Paul
  15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

If you were spoiled you would be saying "I wanted a Fender! My family don't love me!!". As it happens you are modest and slightly surprised by the charity of others. Nothing wrong with that. As it happens it sounds like you have a great wee arsenal of basses, so put them to good use!
  16. JACink

JACink

You are very lucky!

You need to realize that, as your brother if giving you these gifts, you should use the time that we spend on this forum asking what bass we should get, for practicing!!

(BTW, a little off topic, but how is the Kustom 8x10??)
  17. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother. Supporting Member

Yep, spoiled. What was the point of a thread like this?
  18. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

You don't act like someone spoiled, but people are trying to spoil you.
    Those basses aren't super expensive either (I actually own a Samick PJ!) but a Warwick? Damn, I need family like yours ;)
  19. braud357

braud357

Be appreciative, and work to make yourself worthy of the gifts. Like that line from "Saving Private Ryan" -------- "EARN THIS " !!!!
  20. JACink

JACink

And your point is...?
  21. David Jayne

David Jayne

If you're asking, you're not.