1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshipbass12, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

So here's the deal am I the only guy here that doesn't like black basses?
    I see comments about how beautiful black and maple are and so on and so forth, but to me it's just black. No offense intended to owners of black bassed just curious as to what colors other tb'ers just don't like

2. G On Bass

G On Bass Previously Grateful Supporting Member

Yes. You are.

:bag:

:D

(I'm sure you're not alone...)

3. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I don't like black guitars or basses. I don't like natural finishes on ash. I'm also not a huge fan of tort pickguards, although they are OK sometimes. That's probabaly reason enough for being banned from humanity. Fortunately I like black cars.

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

black with no pg= no
    black with white (or any off white or pearl) pg= no
    black with rosewood= no
    black 'n maple= all the way :)

my first bass was a walmart p copy, black with black pg and rosewood neck with black headstock. oh, and chrome handware -_- I have been forever turned off to the black/rw combo. just not aesthetically pleasing in any way, imo.

personally i cannot stand solid red basses (trans are case by case). they make me feel like im playing a fisher price toy :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deacon 7

Deacon 7

I had a Black Hamer Chaparral 12 string. People liked the way it sounded but hated the way it looked. I eventually had to dump it to escape the ridicule of others. I think if I was some other color it wouldn't have looked like the Bat-Bass.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great bass but it just looked satanic. Nothing black stays in the collection for long.

7. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

why yall so Paula Dean?

8. tranceFusion

tranceFusion

I only like black and rosewood for some reason.

9. DannyBob

DannyBob

I don't mind black, but the colours I can't stand are green, red, blue as well as other 'childish' colours.

I like white body, black pickguard and rosewood fretboard.

However my favourite ever colour on a bass is one the 'Sadowsky NYC Will Lee Teal Burst Ash'. Just a shame about the price tag of £4,299 ($6908.49 USD) Also this slightly contradicts what I said about not liking blue but whatever...

Attached Files:

10. DerekMcC

DerekMcC

Guitars or Basses:

Black guard on black body with maple board . . . there is just something awesome about it.

11. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I had to think about it, but I don't think I've ever owned a bass that's...

oops. Never mind. My 4003 is black. I buy almost everything used though, and color is far from the top consideration. One of my favorite telecasters is black body, black guard with maple neck, but liking this particular one also has nothing to do with what it "looks like".

My general preference is for rosewood boards. Body finish? I guess I like natural the least, and matte finishes not much at all, and "relic" jobs that come from the factory is something I don't understand at all. But that's just me.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Whoa! The holy trinity of sacrilegious thinking!! ;)

Actually, I kind of agree with you on the black guitars & basses in that they generally are not my favorites. That being said, I tend to go on a case-by-case basis. For instance, I love the black Jack Casady basses. I actually like black Jazzes & P's if they're black/rosewood/tort. Black & maple w/black pickguard looks good too, although I probably wouldn't buy one for myself. Very rarely do I see a black bass or guitar and say, "I've gotta' have that!!" But I don't DISlike them. They just wouldn't normally be my first choice.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

You may refer to me as His Satanic Bassholiness. Thank you.

14. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I'm not really a fan of black instruments either, although I own a couple because they were the models available to me. They've always seemed boring to me, which may be due to the fact that my first no name starter bass was black. Not a huge fan of torts either...

15. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

My Spector NS-20004 is really kind of gray-greenish but you have to hold it up to a strong light to be sure. Most of the time it looks solid black.

I read an interview with Geddy Lee from the Power Windows days where he requested his Wal to be finished in black because in his opinion it made the sound brighter. And his red Wal had a slightly warmer tone. I've never had the ability to buy two identical models of a bass with different colors to test this idea, but it has always intrigued me. I know the Spector I play is unusually bright and twangy, and I have a red Legend Custom but it is a 35" scale and a 5-string so not a good comparison.

If I am dreaming remembering that interview it will be very funny, but I swear I am not making that up.

16. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

i personally like everything black on my basses. strap locks, knobs, bridges, etc

17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Black with a tort guard = best color combo IMO

18. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

My favorites are 3tsb and coral pink & maple :D

19. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    [​IMG]

20. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

What is there not to like about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, I never really cared for black until I got the black Thunderbird and then...everything changed.

21. shawshank72

shawshank72

Huge fan of black n maple
    What i dont like and will never own is a red or burst.
    And also tort pickguards.
    But hey others love em which is why they keep selling them.