1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Am I transcribing ineffectively?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Jamerman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

When I hear a lick I like in a song, I'll get my bass and slow the song down in audacity or something, hear the note, the find what it is on the bass, dynamics and rhythm are noted, etc

Thing is, I see people jamming on youtube and they seem to be able to hear a melody another player does and repeat it, and I doubt the way I'm doing it helps. I think they'll do something like get someone to play melodys and they get increasingly complicated. But I've read on some sites to do it note for note, not one melody/phrase at a time, so what do you guys think?

Keep in mind this is for stealing/modifying/learning from other players, not to put onto a tab/notation site
  2. wmheilma

wmheilma

Keep going. You'll get faster and learn in the meantime!
  3. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Once you know every note in a measure, try playing the entire measure along with a loop of the recording. When you can play every measure in a verse, try playing the entire verse. It starts one note at time, but it gets lots faster with practice. Keep it up!
  4. elgecko

elgecko

That's not transcribing, that's "learning by ear". When you write down what you learned, it becomes transcribing.

To answer your question, nobody's saying to do it one note at a time. Learning something "note for note" means learning EVERY note, not "learn one note at a time". If you can knock out whole phrases, then do it. If you can't, do it note-by-note to make sure you learn every one.
  5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I think what OP is asking is whether he would get some ear-training benefit from learning songs in real time, rather than slowing them down in Audacity and learning them one note at a time.

IMHO, yes you would get some benefit from that.
  6. Icculus

Icculus

Depends on the individual. I find it easier to get the intervals first and then move it into the right key. It's a lot faster than listening to it slowed down and saying "Ok… first note is A, second note is C" and so on. Sometimes it's a combination of both though, but note for note doesn't usually work for me.
  7. cleary

cleary

I think you're right.
    He may also be looking for tips on how to be better at it - imo some musicianship theory would be very helpful to understand note/scale sounds in relation to key, which in turn will make the note choices much more obvious.
  8. Jamerman

Jamerman

Thank you understanding :D