1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Am I wrong to want to trade down?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by JChurch_Bass, Oct 23, 2011.

1. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

i have a Schecter Stiletto 4-Extreme and i was thinking about trading down to a Squier by Fender. Ive been playing my friend's Squier J-bass for awhile and it sounds and plays amazingly:bassist:(at least to me). Everyone tells me that itd be stupid and not worth it. But in all honesty i just want a bass that delivers a heavy, clear, nice sounding, tone. Im not the best of bass players so i dont really think an advanced bass is right for me.

Am i wrong to think this way?:confused:
  2. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

This is my first time posting, if im doing it in the wrong place i am sorry for the inconvenience.
  3. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Play with the beast that gives you the sound you like! I've been playing for 25 years, and right now, my main axe is a lowly Cort Action bass I bought used for $125. A absolutely LOVE this bass! It's extremely comfortable in my hands, and it has great tone! I can't say that it will be my main axe forever, but right now, I can't see myself spending any money on anything else. I'm very happy with it! :smug:
  4. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

Thanks! Your the first person to really tell me that.
  5. tsverrir

tsverrir

+1

Go for the one you like the best. That will give you the best results.
  6. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

And I'll be the seccond (third?). Pay no attention to those who tell you it's a mistake. You're the one that has to play it, not them.
    If you find the Squier to be more to your liking, go for it.
    Ignore the snobs.
  7. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

At one point, I owned a dozen vintage, pretty expensive basses. I sold them all, then bought a Squier VM Precision. It was the only bass I owned for a couple of years and I enjoyed it as much as any other.
  8. waleross

waleross

If you like the bass fine but it is not an even trade by any means, I would get some $$ for the Schecter.
  9. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

I was actually thinking about getting a VM Pbass. It was the first bass ive ever played with, it got me hooked.
  10. mc_muench

mc_muench

I kinda went through this...I had a Warwick FNA that I traded down for a Fender Mustang because I liked the Mustang better but also the Warwick was a bit out of my league, I felt I couldnt play it fully. Dont get me wrong, I love my Mustang and will keep it forever, but once you get better, like you will, you may wish you still had the Scheter. I wish I still had my warwick, I feel I can actually bring out its full potential now.

Squiers arent that expensive, save up and get the Squier and keep your Scheter. And that way you have a back up and can get a variety of tones.

Just my 2 cents
  11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Play what you like. I tried to trade down but I couldn't do it. There's something to the feel of a "step up" bass for me any way.
  12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Sounds like you want something a bit simpler. Nothing wrong with that.
  13. JChurch_Bass

JChurch_Bass

^ Yes and no in a way

I dont know why i havent posted here sooner, you guys are really helpful. I havent really been playing as long as most of you have but im very dedicated and i wish i had more people to talk "bass" with.
  14. anthonydavis418

anthonydavis418

There is nothing stupid in it, try your hands first on this bass and then buy a great one when you become a good enough musician. It’s a wise act.
  15. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss Supporting Member

The basses that so many drool over now, we bought for $189 back in the day....and then in the 70's, promptly replaced the pick ups, bridge, tuners, etc. searching for the 'perfect' sound. No matter what, it's a block of wood, that vibrates through metal windings, going through others bits of metal to create sound waves. Lesson one....take the bass unplugged, and lean against chest cavity...play bass....if your heart responds to bass vibration, everything else (windings, transducers, sound enhancers) are permutations of the original feeling. If it feels right....play it.
  16. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

sell your bass and buy his or another squire that you like? :p No sense in wasting money. :3
  17. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Why buy a Squier when, for a mere $575 plus shipping you can buy my 1993 Fender, MIA, Jazz Bass Plus, black with maple. Then, you can have all the J Bass you want and it won't be a "downgrade."

tom
  18. mward69

mward69

I agree with the others...play what YOU feel is good in your hands and ears.
    I have played almost 25 yrs. I have had the high-end fenders, to a cheap Ibby
    I played the Ibby more than the $2000 fenders.....I am about to get a Squier
    Modified 5 string.....

You can make a "cheap" bass sound just as good as a pricey one with the right gear.
  19. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

I had a pair of Alembic Rogues. Went into GC just to look around and picked up a Squier 5 string that was WAY better than it deserved to be for $250. I sold the Alembics and bought two Squiers. I put pre-amps in both and put an ebony fretless board on one. Squiers don't have the "wow" factor that Alembics do but I stopped caring. I play a hotrodded Peavey Grind % and a Lace Helix fretless 5 now.
  20. SmittyG

SmittyG

I once paid $3k for a boutique bass to be shipped to me. Once I got it, it was absolutely the most beautiful instrument that I've ever had in my hands . . . and I hated everything else about it. I never could get it set up to my liking and hated the tone of the thing. I now use a MIM Fender J I picked up used and swapped out the pups (total investment less than $400) and I love it. So, I don't care what the bass is supposed to be "worth", play the instrument you love to play--that's the one you will get the most value from.