1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Am Peavey neck vs Am Jazz neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FloridaTim, Dec 24, 2013.

1. FloridaTim

FloridaTim

So, after about a year of saving, I have decided it is time to get a American Fender Jazz. Here is my question:

I have only played my 2 basses, a 1987 Peavey Fury and a 1992 Foundation.

Which Jazz neck (Standard vs Special) would be closest to what I am used to.

I have heard in reviews that the neck on the American Special Jazz is thinner and easier to play than the American Standard Jazz. Is this a very noticeable difference.

Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The closest Jazz neck would be the Geddy Lee Sig.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

The Special neck will be closer(size-wise) to those Peaveys than the Standard... IMO, the differences are somewhat subtle, but are definitely there... My MIA Fury had a tiny neck - on par with my SUB Sterling or Gibson T-bird, and definitely smaller/thinner than my MIA Fender Jazz necks... The tiny neck was one of the reasons why I flipped my Fury - I wanted a more substantial neck in a P Bass copy... The Foundation 5 I bought afterwards has a very nice neck - it's very close(size-wise) to my Sterling 5 HS... I haven't had the chance to play a 4 string Foundation, but I can imagine that they have very good fretwork, and sound great...

Agreed - IMO, the Squier VMJ necks are fairly small, too...

- georgestrings