1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amateur builder, need advice.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thedudebrah, Nov 15, 2012.

1. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I'm working on building a P bass from some parts I have laying around, but I want to buy a new Allparts neck for it. I have been advised that this neck does not come with a nut installed. The neck is unfinished, so I'll be putting on the clear coat myself, but I want to know at what point should I install the nut? I've done some reading as to how to install it, but I'm unsure when I should install it.

For example, should I install the nut onto the neck while off the body and then do all my clear coat work and final assembly?

Should I mock up the unfinished neck onto the body and install the nut when I can have string tension over it and then remove all the hardware and do my clear coat?

Or could I do my finish work while masking the nut slot and then install the nut right as I do my final assembly?

Thanks for any tips, this is the only thing holding me up from taking my next steps in the build.
  2. thedudebrah

If this would get more action in the hardware/setup forum, please move it there.
  3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Mask off the nut slot during the finishing process then install and file the nut just before you string it up.
  4. thedudebrah

Alright simple enough, thanks!
  5. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Is it a maple fret board? If it is rosewood then it wouldn't matter when you put the nut on (before/after) since the fret board does not need to be sprayed; only the maple neck would be finished with the rosewood masked off. I installed the nut on my allparts maple/rosewood J neck before spraying the finish, just to get a feel for the guitar before the neck sat in the closet curing for a few weeks.
  6. thedudebrah

Yes, forgot to mention it's a maple neck. I'd the to install the nut only to find out it has to be redone in a few weeks when I assemble everything.