1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Amateur builder, need advice.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thedudebrah, Nov 15, 2012.

1. I'm working on building a P bass from some parts I have laying around, but I want to buy a new Allparts neck for it. I have been advised that this neck does not come with a nut installed. The neck is unfinished, so I'll be putting on the clear coat myself, but I want to know at what point should I install the nut? I've done some reading as to how to install it, but I'm unsure when I should install it.

For example, should I install the nut onto the neck while off the body and then do all my clear coat work and final assembly?

Should I mock up the unfinished neck onto the body and install the nut when I can have string tension over it and then remove all the hardware and do my clear coat?

Or could I do my finish work while masking the nut slot and then install the nut right as I do my final assembly?

Thanks for any tips, this is the only thing holding me up from taking my next steps in the build.

2. If this would get more action in the hardware/setup forum, please move it there.

3. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Mask off the nut slot during the finishing process then install and file the nut just before you string it up.

4. Alright simple enough, thanks!

5. Sponsored by:

6. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Oct 23, 2012
    South Florida
    Is it a maple fret board? If it is rosewood then it wouldn't matter when you put the nut on (before/after) since the fret board does not need to be sprayed; only the maple neck would be finished with the rosewood masked off. I installed the nut on my allparts maple/rosewood J neck before spraying the finish, just to get a feel for the guitar before the neck sat in the closet curing for a few weeks.

7. Yes, forgot to mention it's a maple neck. I'd the to install the nut only to find out it has to be redone in a few weeks when I assemble everything.