Amazed at my recent Guitar Center Deal. Still in awe.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by OOTB68, Feb 20, 2013.

1. OOTB68

OOTB68

Last week I decided to kill some time on my way down to see a client for work so as I often do, I stopped in to Guitar Center and poke around. I was floored to see an Epifani UL502 tagged at $450. I checked it out and everything worked fine and it sounded great. I left without it, however but couldn't stop thinking about it. I wondered if it came with the footswitch and if not, I was curious if is be able to locate one. So the next day I called GC and asked if it came with the foot controller and the after checking, the sales guy came back and said that it wasn't with it. No big deal, I thought but it never hurts to ask if they could come down on the already ridiculously low price. He said he had to ask his manager and would call me back. So I waited for his call, thinking there's no way they would budge on that price. He called me back a half hour later and told me since it didn't have the foot switch his manager said he could let me have it for $350 instead of $450!!! I thought I was hearing things but blurted out "I'm on my way!!!". So I played it the very next night at a gig and I am now in love with this amp. The icing on the cake was finding a used foot switch for $40 which is on its way. Sorry for being so long winded but I'm just beaming over scoring this killer amp. Sometimes it seems like if it doesn't say Fender, Gibson, or Ibanez, it seems like they don't know what to do with it. Whatever the situation, I AM STOKED!!!
  2. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

So true. I got a used MTD Kingston Heir 5 from them for $220. It was one of the newer active ones, too! No matter how many people hate Guitar Center, that store can give some great deals. :hyper:
  3. OOTB68

OOTB68

Wow! That IS a good deal. I don't think I'm going to be bashing GC anytime soon...haha
  4. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Yup. Perfect condition, too! As soon as I saw it, I practically just grabbed it, turned around, and left with it! :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ersheff

ersheff

Last week, I picked up a used Egnater Rebel 20 at the local GC for $300.
    (I know, not bass related, but hear me out)
    First of all, the thing is in near-mint condition. The only thing I could see wrong with it was that there was a teeny bit of wear on some of the screw heads, which only indicated that the previous owner probably changed the tubes at some point.
    It was listed at $330, but GC was having a sale that day. The sale discounts don't usually apply to used stuff, but there were "factory restock" Rebel 20's on the website listed for $399. With that day's sale, those were discounted to $330.
    I explained to the salesperson that I could get a "factory restock" for the same price as used, and said "how about knock off 10%?". He said "Definitely. Especially since I saw you digging that Egnater and really wanted you to be able to get it." (I just thought that was kind of a cute response)
    Anyway, the icing on the cake was that not only did I get the amp for what I think is a fair price, but it came with the shoulder bag. Then, when I got home, I opened it up to look at the tubes. ALL of them were JJ's, and I don't think Egnater ever shipped this amp with all JJ's, so that theoretically means that at least some of the tubes were new. Lastly, when I opened the amp up to perform a power tube bias, everything looked immaculately clean and nice inside, so I know the amp wasn't abused.
    It sounds REALLY GOOD, too.
    Now, contrast that with visting the same GC a few days later, and the only EL84 tubes they had in stock (Groove Tubes brand, meant for a different amp) were $54 a pair! I ordered some JJ EL84's from Tube Depot later that afternoon, $22 shipped.
  7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Though I know exactly nothing about this amp, GC's used deals are often incredible because they just want to dump the stuff and get it off the floor where it's taking up valuable footprint they want to use for more profitable new stock.

They have to deal in used gear to do trade-ins, and they'll usually dump it for about what they gave the mook who brought it in -- and that's not much.
  8. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

I've bought new and used gear from GC over many years and they have always been great in all my dealings with them.

Very cool GC staff as well here in Vegas.

Anyhow,, just showin some love for GC.

Cheers
    Davyo
  9. IPYF

IPYF

This is a total hijack but as someone who also got a massive screamer on his Rebel 20 ($600 with a brand new VOX 112 thrown in) I know just how ecstatic you feel.

And don't be too hasty to write it off as a bass amp. I used it for rehearsals through my 410 while my GK was in the shop. It broke up for sure but was audible over the Marshall stacks and at 20w that's just silly. Best guitar amp I've owned bar none.

OP. There is no better feeling in the world than getting a great deal. Enjoy that man. Get into it.
  10. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

The GCs near me seem to be extra eager to make deals on their meager used inventories. I suppose it has something to do with the larger corporate financial situation.

There are good deals to be had, that's for sure.
  11. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

I traded in a Thumb BO 5 to them years ago because they offered me 1300 for it. I bought it used for 1400 a year prior. It was on the sales rack for two years and was at one point discounted back to a grand. I had a friend buy it as he was looking for one. He got a good deal, I got a great deal, GC lost money on it
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rules.
  13. blubass

blubass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rebel Straps, Rotosound strings, EMG pickups, Etc...
    Guitar Center usually buys for half the price they sell. The longer a product sits on the floor the more inclined they would be to sell for less. Guy must have been new, or it wasn't a product he'd bought back because I never had to ask for approval unless the price was between the purchase an 10% from cost.
  14. Raymeous

Raymeous

I was able to pick up a used (mint condition) Godin Freeway SA guitar which usually goes for $899 for $400 out the door. Not too shabby for a solidly built guitar with a beautiful top and 13pin synth access.

Also as a Carvin guy, living in San Diego no less, I have seen countless Carvins that would be well over $1200 new going for $400-$500 a pop, even for ones in great condition.

GC is a great spot for used stuff.
  15. ersheff

ersheff

Interesting that you mention that.
    While I was waiting for my Tone Hammer 350 to arrive, I tried bass through the Rebel 20 into a Bag End S15-D.
    It didn't have enough low end, but crank up the gain and holy schnikes what a fantastic wall of doom!!! :hyper:
    Seriously, it was the best super distorted bass sound I've ever heard.
  16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

The flipside of your $350 Epifani is the dude who traded it in and got $200 for it, but that's his fault not yours.

My best GC score was an awesome MIJ 70's reissue jazz they had priced as an old MIM - $200.
  17. OOTB68

OOTB68

I DID think of that, and I do hope whoever it was that basically gave away the amp to GC, didn't do it out of desperation. Karma does count. Although, as you stated that was HIS decision, not mine.

That IS a killer deal for a MIJ 70's reissue jazz. Congrats on that. I find GC is pretty much hit or miss as far as used gear goes. Some things seem a little high, some seem about right, but every once in while you can find a real deal.

IME it seems if it a lesser known brand or an odd sort of item, they seem to drastically reduce the price for some reason. A couple years ago a snagged a Zeta Crossover bass from the same GC, complete with stand, case, end pin, and upper bout attachment for $549. I wasn't particularly looking for one at the time but that was my chance to grab it. I also picked up a 1979 StingRay for $1100 back about 5 years ago form there as well, which I thought was a good score (so much for my lesser-known brand name theory I guess).
  18. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    LOL. Awesome find.
  19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I,m very glad you found something that makes you very happy. Now switch off the damn computer, pick up your bass and put the amp trough its paces!!!
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You can find some great deals congrats.
  21. mantaraya

mantaraya

With GC is all matter of "luck" and i really mean "LUCK" capitalized. I have had deals, some not so. But for Ex, i ordered an SWR Goliath III for $299 + $ 10 shipping. Guess what... came in almost nearly mint and perfect condition, and believe me when i say "mint" it was more like New. Like used one time and sold. This was a great deal. But, some haven't...