1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AMAZING Fender '70s Precision Classic Price

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by jazznrick, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Seriously? :confused:

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

No deal there is my opinion. If it was MIJ and listed for 600 I might give it a look......

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

That's full street price, no deal whatsoever!??

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. froghat

froghat Supporting Member

It was marked down by roughly $130 when the OP posted.

7. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

No Ebay sales

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

No eBay auctions. Straight sales are OK.

9. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Thank you for your attentiveness, Froghat, it is much appreciated. I saw a good deal on a bass that has become my go to and thought I'd give a little back. I did enjoy that post about $600 and MIJ would have sealed the deal for the comment's author. It's the exact same bass (brand new even!). The MIJ's serial number location does make it a fundamentally better instrument. The world keeps churning contrary to popular belief and the days of MIA>CIJ>MIM>Indonesia/Korea are at odds with the marvel of manufacturing progress. So my sincere advice is pick one up and try it out. Worst thing that could happen is you go back to scouring Rakuten.

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I think it was fall 2011 where a lot of use grabbed these for under $500 shipped from GC I believe? Cant remember I just flipped mine.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

No! Those were MIJs! And I missed out! :bawl:

12. A-Step-Towards

Indeed it was cheap, I think maybe even like $400 with a deluxe gig bag and yep japan made. I sold it for $650 to a member here which was giving him a deal. It was a quick $200.

13. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yeah, it was the MIJ 70s P Bass for $430 shipped. GC goofed but honored the price anyway.

That was the Summer of the $1100 Rickenbackers. Good times. :)

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

On which I likewise missed out. Having my fretting hand in a cast probably distracted me.

15. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Some here used coupons to get them below the $1k mark.

16. A-Step-Towards

Good times indeed!

I got a Rickenbacker in Blue for $1104 , a Mapleglo for $1080 and I took one of those P basses to.:cool:

I think the craziest deal was when guitar center allowed stacking of coupons. People got Stingrays for $500. I was a newb back then and only bought to GK cabs for $320, they usually were $700. If it happened again I would buy about 10 stringrays.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

If I ever get past the Rickenbacker insanity and flaky build, I may yet buy one...which will probably be my last bass buy (I haven't bought an instrument since the accident in 2011), but I'm pretty sure I won't match that champion price. [sigh!]

18. A-Step-Towards

Maybe, there was a rumor some smaller RIC dealer was going to sell blue ones at a discount. If they have a stock pile building up that means MF is probably sitting on some as well. It wasnt a error or anything so they really did blow those out on purpose but its been 2.5 years since and no sale has occured yet. The blue ones I got were 8 months to 14 months old and the Mapleglo was 3 months old , which makes me believe they really dont sell many blue ones.

19. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I wanted a RIC so bad during the sale. Bought a blue one. It was a mess exchanged it for another blue one. It was even worse. Exchanged that one for a Fireglo and it also had issues. Bubbling paint, gaps where the binding met the body and truss rod issues. Never did get a RIC but I keep watching.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yep, sounds like the usual dance. The more stories I hear, the more I'm convinced that sale was mainly to offload junkers after a crack epidemic at the factory or something. I've never heard such a batch of trouble as that load had.

I'll probably never get one either. They're just too much hassle, never mind the idiot fanboys hysterically abusing you for pointing out the glaring, fatal build flaws they wouldn't tolerate on a $200 no-name import.

And I'd die before I got a blue one.

Well...I guess if it was REALLY a long deal, maybe. ;)

21. Bongolation

Bongolation

Why should they be any different from anyone else? Moving blue instruments -- really blue-blue ones -- is incredibly hard.