Amazon Prime Air

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

So the FAA is supposed to approve this?

Is it just me, or does the possibility of kids getting their fingers cut off seem like a problem?
  2. PAC

PAC Banned

Is that not the COOLEST thing you ever saw. I love it.

Paul

:hyper:
  3. JFOC

JFOC

This was on 60 minutes last night. They have the technology to do deliveries atm but due to the aforementioned limb loss risk the CEO projected "optimistically 5 years"
  4. Gorn Captain

It is cool, but I doubt it's gonna happen. Finger loss is a problem, and a-hole teenagers throwing rocks at it could also potentially be an issue.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Let's see -- major online retailer proposes whacky stunt exactly at the start of the prime shopping season...

No, I don't see any promotional value there... [/sarcasm]

It doesn't have to be real (a news story proposing something similar in Sillycon Valley appeared a couple of months ago) it just has to put the brand on the front page...
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Or red neck hunting :bag:

[​IMG]
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Never say never, drones could wind up doing such things, but under current federal law, operating a drone in US airspace for commercial purposes is illegal without the proper permits, which are currently not being issued.

Before any commercial use will be considered we first have to cut up our airspace for the law enforcement drone assault which is coming just as sure as the sun rises. There are currently thousands of air space variance requests before the FAA. From what I've heard, it's just a matter of the FAA finalizing a jurisdictional boundary map. And don't worry about small departments being able to afford drones, our Uncle has grant money available for local and state LE agencies for the purchase of drones. It's basically a 21st century version of the old LEPA grant program which ran in the early 70's. Loads of federal dollars to beef up law enforcement, but in this version it will be strictly for the purchase and maintenance of drones as well as training for operators.

In the grand American tradition, our Uncle will never let a profitable technology developed in wartime go to waste once the war is over.

Oh and BTW, check your local municipal code and you are liable to find there are already provisions making interfering with a drone the same as interfering with a police officer in the discharge of their duties.
  9. Chebass88

Chebass88

^ So how long before there are sufficient [DEL]kickbacks[/DEL] campaign donations to change those laws in favor of allowing drone deliveries?
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant

I just hope I live long enough to see them implemented; then the creative people out there can figure out how to electronically hijack one and replace it's delivery with a box of poo, or shoot one down, or use an EMP to knock it out of the sky, or just steal the whole drone. Awesome.

There is no way to stop technology from taking more jobs from humans. I wonder if the guys in brown foresee a threat to the livelihoods of future delivery guys? Sooner than the transporter 200 years from now anyway.
  11. Gorn Captain

I was thinking the same thing. What prevents someone from grabbing the thing before it takes off and keeping it? I'm sure there's a gps but someone could probably take that out real quick and then they have their own drone. They're not gonna know you took it. Who's to say a gang of rabble rousing youths didn't run up and grab it
  12. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

That's what technology is meant to do. I've read enough to be convinced that the age of "jobs" is coming to an end, and as long as we embrace it and adapt our economy it'll be an opportunity for people to simply work on what they WANT instead of needing people to spend their days driving to houses in a truck of boxes.
  13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Not!
  14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Lol, you serious?
  15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Just put a big ol' magnet in your garden, steal all your neighbours mail.
  16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

What about arming it with a machine gun?

17. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I see Jimmy John's all over this.
  18. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Gonna give thieves and teenagers a new target
  19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I hate the idea of a further intrusion into our public space.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope it gets approved. I'll build a landing pad on my roof for it. Awesome!

-Mike
  21. Gorn Captain

I think this dude nailed it.