Amazon Prime Increasing from $79 to $99

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mckeonkent, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mckeonkent

mckeonkent

I just got an email confirming that when my prime renews is July the rate is increasing from $79 to $99.
    My rate increases in July 2014. So check your renewal dates!

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee. If I had to order more in order to get free shipping or wait around until I have several things to order together then I'll probably end up spending that much more anyway. It's just harder to part with it all at once.

I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it but it pizses me off. :bassist:
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Still a great value IMO. Especially if you feel you can survive on Amazon Video instead of Netflix.

The only reason I haven't given up Netflix yet is because my Chromecast doesn't work with it. Getting stuff in 2 days is great. Think of all the gas you save and time instead of driving to a store. You can still get free shipping but waiting a week and a half sucks!
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I haven't been convinced yet that prepaying expedited shipping is advantageous when I can get free shipping if I combine patience with accumulating sufficient purchase value with patience waiting for decreased shipping speed.
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I can't find decent programming on amazon prime video which competes with netflix. Thanks for reminding me to cancel.
  5. tastybasslines

Lock in another year of Prime at $79.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57620296-285/how-to-lock-in-another-year-of-amazon-prime-at-$79/

The workaround involves disabling Amazon Prime auto-renew for your account, and purchasing a gift membership at the current price for Amazon Prime. But instead of having the gift card delivered the day you order it, schedule delivery for the day after your Amazon Prime subscription expires.

I just did this myself. Works. If I want to cancel it later, I can.
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The price almost doubled over here, I don't know what the streaming service is like in the US but they took over LoveFilm here, which was fairly good (less TV but more movies than Netflix).

It's not a service I use, but a few of my friends who did have cancelled their subscriptions because they wouldn't use the streaming component and otherwise the price jump was too much.

I'm not sure why they didn't keep the two services separate with a potential "discounted price" if someone bought into both. I dare say they're probably hoping it gives them a bit more of a foothold into the streaming market, but I'm still not sure it's wise (as it seems to be putting off users not interested in their streaming service).
  7. IPA

IPA

I had a free trial for 6 months with school, barely used it. Doesn't really do anything that I need doing, I suppose.
  8. blue4

blue4

The free two-day shipping is still worth it for me. I use Amazon instead of wandering through dingy brick and mortar stores trying to find something that isn't in stock anyway. It's expecially useful for buying work clothes and things like that since I always have the right size on hand. The instant videos are just an added bonus that I can use to supplement Netflix since I don't have cable.
  9. Rob22315

Rob22315

Totally worth it IMHO - free books, free 2 day shipping, free movies. We use them all.
  10. tplyons

tplyons

And don't forget that the benefits can be shared within a household/family.

I foot the bill and place between 40-50 orders a year ($200 savings in shipping already) and my brother and mom benefit from free shipping as well. Only drawback is the paying member is the only one who gets free streaming and ebook rentals.
  11. tastybasslines

Don't forget to use the money saving method that I listed above!
  12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I wish their video selection didn't suck eggs. :(
  13. line6man

line6man

I'm finding more and more movies on Amazon Instant Video that are only available to buy, rather than rent. Can prime members view these titles, or are there limitations? Additionally, some movies don't have the prime logo in their listing, so I'm assuming that you still have to pay for them, if you have a prime membership?

I really don't see the appeal in spending that kind of money when I don't place enough orders directly from Amazon to take advantage of free shipping. It usually works out cheaper for me to buy from third party sellers.
  14. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Considering the amount of stuff I get from Amazon, even the extra twenty bucks is worth it to me.
  15. tastybasslines

Refer to post 5!
  16. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I can see why you're pissed off. It's outrageous that a company would try to remain profitable in a climate of rising fuel (they home deliver correct?) and hence all overhead costs. They should lock in their pricing and enjoy a nice ride down the tubes to oblivion.
  17. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    It's just not worth it to me at that price. I do not use Prime Video, as they often don't have what I want to watch. I very rarely use the Prime Books - I think I've used it 6 times in the 3 years I've had Prime now.
    The "free" two day shipping was all I used it for. But, I have options:
    1) Just get $35 of stuff in my cart and be patient. Piece of cake to do, and I save $100.
    2) Just price match with local stores (most will match and even beat amazon pricing) and have instant gratification. The smaller stores sure will like seeing another person walk in and spend money there.

For me, it's just not worth it. It probably wasn't even worth it at $79 really. What the price hike has done is make me think more about it and truly analyze whether or not I'm getting what I feel is "worth it". To me, no. To you, perhaps it's still worth it. I'd rather save that $100 and spend it elsewhere, or toss it into my stock market slush fund (getting an average of 7.5% ROI over the past 18 months, so hey, I'd come out even more ahead!).

I'm not saying that Amazon shouldn't raise prices. They can obviously do whatever they want. Of course, they were also smart about it, "leaking" that it could be a $40 hike, and then only hiking it $20. But, I will not be renewing, and I'm sure they're counting on losing some renewals over this. I'm also sure they've accounted for the fact that it's a higher entry point now for new members, so it likely won't hurt them in the end. And good for them if so.
  18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I signed up before the hike this week (until next year anyway) and even despite the hike I already consider it to be a great value if I average the cost out monthly. We ditched cable a month or two ago in favor of Netflix & Hulu and haven't looked back. Already on Prime I've found a lot of great movies that I haven't even seen on Netflix and some TV series that Hulu either didn't offer at all or had limited shows of, not even complete seasons.

The 2-Day shipping is great as well since I'm an impatient bastard. But, my cousin pointed out (and this may be a known fact already) but the price you pay for the item as a prime member with the "free" 2-day shipping is actually a little higher than what you'd pay for just the item alone if you weren't a member. Say the item costs $99 to a non prime member before shipping. It might cost $115 to a prime member with the "free" 2-day shipping. Now that's still a big savings off of if you were to be a non-prime member and pay for 2-day yourself, but it's a misleading tactic to actually call it free.

That issue aside, I'm glad to have finally signed up. I think it will be a good value despite the price hike.
  19. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The increase in cost isn't just down to the running costs, they've added additional features to the Prime service, features which many people don't want. I think that's the issue many are taking with it.
  20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They've got to fund their drone armada!