Amber Tint Myself or Have it done?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ejaggers, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers

I have a maple neck on a Bronco that I want tinted amber,
    but I don't want to screw it up.

Is this a pretty simple do-it-yourself project, if you've never done it before, or should I have someone do it?

If I try it myself and screw it up will it cost more to have it redone, than just having someone do it in the first place?

How much does this generally cost to have it done?

2. ejaggers

ejaggers

Somebody???? Anybody???? Come on day crew, help me out....
  3. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

It's not terribly difficult. It's easier on bare wood for me. If I'm spraying over a poly finish, I prefer to make my own light mix of amber. Most tinted clears or toners you can buy tend to be a bit intense in color. It can be fairly easy to go too far with the color, or might come out uneven. I tint clear nitro with dye, or place a jar of it in a window for a week or two. It yellows due to uv exposure. Then I can spray it in light coats and gradually build up the color to my liking.
  4. ejaggers

ejaggers

Thanks LowEnd, I don't own any equipment, I'd have to rattle can it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

You can use a preval spray unit. They are like $5 at Home Depot. I use them often when I need to mix a custom color. I haven't used my spray rig in over a year. :cool:
  7. ejaggers

ejaggers

I'm going to pass of the the DIY. Any suggestion on who can do this for me at a reasonable price?
  8. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I know a few guys not to far from here. I'd offer to do it myself, but I'm kinda buried in projects currently and will be picking up some OT at work for the next few months. I'll ask around some of my buddies for you. Do you mind shipping it as far as Oklahoma?
  9. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

You could do the ReRanch rattle can way. I agree with ThaLowEndTheory I like to mix mine up and I use a good HVLP gun. I have never had great results from the can.

If your not in a hurry PM me and I'lll see what I can do for you.