1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ambition

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 4, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima

Why is it that the words "ambitous music" mean it pays lousy and provides no opportunities for career advancement? Ambition means pretty much the exact opposite everywhere else.

And while I'm at it, why is that musicians who swear they are "open to all styles" never want to play either country or Western?
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never heard the term "ambitious music" but career opportunities in music generally come from years of rehearsal and networking. I have a friend who has played guitar with many well known artists including John Entwistle, Todd Rundgren, Jack Bruce and others. He told me that he used to go to clubs every night and jam with whoever was playing. Eventually, he started getting calls to fill in. He earned a reputation for being the guy to call and better opportunities started coming his way.

As far as your last comment is concerned, maybe you also need to be more "open minded".
  3. pklima

pklima

LOL. Maybe these terms are more common in Poland, but I keep seeing them in musician wanted ads. The word "ambitious" in "ambitious drummer wanted" means the exact opposite of what it does in "amibitious sales manager wanted".

"Open-minded" likewise means either "want to play prog rock" or "want to play indie rock". I'm like the least open-minded person I know.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I guess I misunderstood. could be due too cultural differences. I have seen ads looking for ambitious musicians but generally, they are as you described for bands that are just starting out and doing gigs that do not pay well.

In order to find open minded musicians you need to be more open minded.
  5. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

I'm sorry to derail, but the country or western thing made me think of this
  6. pklima

pklima

No derail, the country or Western thing was a reference to that line.
  7. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Ambition in the music business is all subjective.

Like, for a guy like me, local shows, bars, and fairs are about as ambitious as I want to get. Maybe at some point give some bass lessons, maybe not.

For some people just getting out of the basement is enough to be considered ambitious.

And I went into my last audition "open to a new style", and was offered the job.

Ironically, we play both Country and Western.
  8. Russell L

Russell L

Hey, some of us have already led an ambitious musical life and now like to be more laid back with some (not TOO many) local easy-going gigs. I'm 62 and have done a lot. More to do, sure, but not with all the plans like when I was twenty.
  9. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

I get what you are saying to a degree. "Ambitious" music probably implies music that the general public hasn't been exposed to on a wide scale and is trying to gain that exposure. Think of music styles that are fairly new that gain huge popularity. Rock, rap, and many others were probably considered "ambitious" at one point. I would consider an ambitious musician one who is willing to put in all the hard work and sacrifices necessary to make a living in the business. This could mean playing country even if you don't like it. I wouldn't play country but I don't have ambition to be a high paid professional performer. I like to perform and be paid for music I like that I helped make. My band could blow up and make big cash but I really don't care if we do. An ambitious musician would care and put their all into it. Does that make sense?