Ameg vs. markbass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Justin2552, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Justin2552

Justin2552

Debating which head I want to get. I'm not worried about price what quality and versatility. I play many different genres of music from Latin, jazz to heard core and alternative. Any thoughts?
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Do you want a flat even response or do you want a coloured tone that has been famous for years?

I personally like my bass amps to have zero colour to them so I would pick Markbass ten times out of ten over Ampeg, but lots of folks would go the opposite way.

I also have had more reliable Markbass gear than Ampeg gear.
  4. Justin2552

Justin2552

I'm looking for an amp that can do a little of everything.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

Markbass + VT bass = best of borth worlds
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well I can get my Markbass to sound closer to an SVT than I could make my SVT sound like a Markbass. Neither can replicate the other exactly though.
  8. Justin2552

Justin2552

Sorry I'm not familiar with the VT bass. Is it just a color pedal?
  9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

While some people may disagree I do tend to find Markbass products a lot more reliable than Ampeg. I've never had a problem with any of the Markbass equipment I have owned and gigged. While I have had 3 Ampeg heads fail on me(SVT3Pro, 2x SVT7Pro). Fortunately none failed on a gig That aside, the above posts are pretty much spot on. Ampeg has a signiture sound that some love. Markbass is a lot more neutral tonally and IMO has a "wider" sound. Ideally you would try them both out and choose what works best for your tone goals.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The idea that you can't get near flat response out of an Ampeg is myth...sorry. I do it on every Ampeg I ever owned. Just have to turn knobs a little.

Obviously I prefer Ampeg but I did have a Markbass head for a while...liked it but the Ampeg is so easy for me to dial in that I switched.
  11. Big John66

Big John66

I was doing the Markbass LMII + VT bass thing for quite a while. Then I picked up a Ampeg SVT 7-Pro. Wanna buy a used Markbass LMII and a VT bass pedal?
  12. DiabolusInMusic

My SVT couldn't get a modern sound if I sacrificed goats to the Ampeg gods, even when I used the Hi boost button. My BA210 also couldn't even come close. My SVT-6 Pro could actually do an alright modern tone.

I suppose flat response, was not the best wording as it probably is still flat on the EQ graph. The tone itself is noticeably coloured though.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My SVT was made in 69 and easily gets a modern sound if you use a cab with a tweeter, which I don't ;)

BTW, when do we stop calling a sound that got popularized in the late 70's a "modern" sound?
  14. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Justin; I think you'd get better advice if we knew which models of the 2 brands you are considering.
  15. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I'm curious about what cabs your using.
  16. Justin2552

Justin2552

I'm not sure on the model yet. For cabs I have an acoustic neo 2x10 but I plan to be a 8x10 once I have a head powerful enough to push it.
  17. kasbrey

kasbrey

I used a Markbass LM11 and DHA VT1 DI/EQ for a while but now use a Markbass TTE 500 which does the all valve thing very convincingly.
  18. bschuylerm

bschuylerm

Never heard of, "Ameg" before, but Ampeg stuff is pretty sweet. I have and have had an S*** ton of it.
  19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

You can push that 810 cab with whatever head you want, there is not MINIMUM wattage to pound an 810 with. Of course you would like to put around 800 watts into it, just keep in mind a 100 watt tube amp with the Ampeg 810 will work beautifully for many gigs....