1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

American Audio speakers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Anyone heard of this brand ?

I found a speaker for sale, branded American Audio 400 watt 4 ohm, with FA388 AS01.04 on the rear, which i guess must be the MPN.

I'd like to find out the TS parameters to see if it would make a good unit to throw into my old Peavey BVX 1x15 cab, but there's next to no info out there

[​IMG]
  2. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Hmm... thats the kind of response i got from google. There's no info out there in space

In a twist of fate, they could be British :eyebrow:
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Speaker design books will tell you how to measure a driver,
    Or you can buy a tool to do it
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-806

It is unlikely to work better than than the Peavey driver designed for the Peavey cabinet. It's very rare that a toss in driver would work better than the driver the cabinet was designed for.
  4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    by the look of those connector terminals, i'd say its a car sub. it probably wouldn't be very good in that cab.
  5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Well, in the end, i managed to fire off an email to American Audio, and the manager sent me back a reply.

-----------------------------

Sorry we dont have that info, good luck

Tom Freret
    American Audio Manager
    6122 S Eastern Ave
    Los Angeles, CA 90040
    Tomf@americandj.com
    323-213-4529 (Office Direct)
    323-316-5613 (Cell)

The website looks like they're just a sales shop rather than manufacturers, so i'm guessing they buy them in, and stick 'em in a box as PA cabs, judging by the looks of things

http://www.americanaudio.us/ProductsList.aspx?MainId=1&Category=Speakers
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

cast frame, heavy cone, vented magnet

looks like a pro audio driver with high thermal rating
    for pa midbass.
    Most likely has a typical high Le found in most pa drivers.
    so very little highend, high thermal rating and probably xmax in the 4mm range.

any search done it seems to be used in 2 way 15inch pa cabinets.
    its a heavy cone so mms and qms are going to be high.

its not a eminence but its going to be very similar to a kappa pro series.

most likely gonna want a ported box
    Fs around 35hz
    again very little highend
  7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Thanks for your input.. I run a BFM Jack 2x10 as well, so sparkly top is not a needy criteria for any 15 i'm after, and i have a crossover so can send the highs to the Jack.

Bit surprised that you think the Xmax is only 4mm though, as i expected more

Apparently that magnet is 9" across
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The bumped out backplate can indicate more travel/xmax/xlim but isn't a guaranty of it. Aside from real measurement equipment, etc., a test box would be needed. Something I'd mess with if the driver were at least cheap if not free.

Jack runs mighty loud north of 200hz. Would take a pretty formidable woofer to add meaningful lows. Wouldn't need the 50-200hz bandwidth to run equally as loud to add noticable bottom....but still.....
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    What drivers are in your Jack?

My train of thought is......the Jack runs as a direct radiator in the lows before the horn effect comes in. May be possible to do a 210 with the same drivers, lowpassed at the top of the Jacks direct radiator function to add more lows. The horn on the top cab would still play plenty loud over that by itself.

May be a sort of cobbled together way of doing it, but should work in theory. Meaning a lowpassed 210 using the same box size/tuning arrangement, then still run the Jack fullrange. The lowpassed extension cab shouldn't interfere with the mids/upper frequencies, just add a fuller bottom.

Check with Bill. The obvious answer would be a Titan 39, but I assume you don't want to carry something that size.
  10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

My Jack 210 has 250 watt Beta 10a's 8 ohm each, and ideally another one of those would be ideal if i could find a used one, as the 1x15 + 2x10 is not my setup of choice, but DIY is neither my forte or even possible as i live in an apartment 2 floors up, and price rears its ugly head as usual.

Buying 2 Beta 10a's plus BFM plans and then getting them built by someone is going to ramp the price to £300, and at least the same for Titan, but since i already have an empty 1x15 cab, a speaker unit is going to cost around £100/110 fitted.