1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

American Deluxe Jazz - what're all these knobs for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

howdy: i just scored an american deluxe jazz bass, not the model fender makes now, but one from about 10 yrs ago, i think. here's a link to some pictures of it:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bass-place/367727-nbd.html

i am mixed up about these knobs: the one closest to the neck is a master volume. next is a knob that pans between pick-ups (i think). the next is a stacked knob and i ain't got a clue. last is a smaller knob and it mystifies me also. it just seems to lower the volume, tho not all the way.

the bass has active pick-ups and i don't know alot about them, either. they say "scn" in tiny letters. any enlightenment you care to share is appreciated!
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

wow, this forum moves fast! bump back to the top... for a couple of minutes.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman

Master Volume, Pan Pot (pickup selector), Treble Boost/Cut, Midrange Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut, Active/Passive Mini Toggle
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Controls as Mellow stated are ALMOST correct.
    1st knob - Master Volume
    2nd knob - Blend pot for Pick-up selection
    3rd knob - Treble Boost/cut (top) Bass Boost/cut (bottom)
    2-way Mini-toggle - Active/Passive selector
    4th knob - Mid Cut/boost (top) Passive Tone control (bottom)
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

this bass doesn't have any toggle switches at all and the 3d knob is the only stacked knob. the 4th knob is smaller than the others. i took one of the batteries out to see if it would work passively, but no go. complete silence on all settings without the battery - which as far as i know is the way all active systems work. i was hoping there was a way to use it with no batterys at all, but apparently not.
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

Ah, I missed the part about 10 years ago. It looks like it has the system that the current Mexican Active Deluxe haS.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can always check Fender owner's manuals online, too.
  8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd

yes, that looks to be the set-up. so the little knob sort of pans between active and passive. you can play passive, then dial in the active sound to raise volume and change tone.

i need to check out the fender manual as mentioned above, but this ain't their present model so it might not be there anymore.
  9. Kenzy

Kenzy

1st- Volume
    2nd- Pickup Selector
    3rd top- Treble cut/boost
    3rd bottom- Bass cut/boost
    4th- Mid cut/boost
  10. portlandguy

portlandguy

turn the volume all the way up, the rest set all flat.
  11. Kenzy

Kenzy

I'm almost sure this is it. Hope that helps.
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

If it's a stock Fender than thats the set-up, no question about. No passive tone control. 18 volt.
    Samarium Cobalt Pickups. Nice bass, I had two. Fender changed the pre-amp for 2010.
  13. talknbass bro

talknbass bro

The knobs should be:
    Master volume, pickup selector pan knob, treble (top) and bass boost/cut (bottom) stacked knobs, mid boost/cut knob. There shouldn't be a toggle switch if it is the same version I am thinking of. The schematics are also available on the fender.com website as well if you want to check out the specs.
    Hope this helps.
  14. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Nice bass! I had the same one only with a maple board. I regret selling it. Was a 2004.
    If you mess with the stacked pot (3rd one) you can cop many tones, from vintage to modern. I loved that bass! It cut through a mix like a hot knife through butter. It just got me into trouble because it played so easy that I wanted to solo it too much. Lol.

It has a smaller body than a STD jazz and the neck profile is slick and fast.
    I used to get so many compliments on my tone with that bass. I may just have to look into getting me a new one, just a fiver. The new deluxe's are killer as well, BNB, yes please.

Play the heck outta your new bass and remember to keep 2 9v batteries in your case at all times!

Peace,
    WG.
  15. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Control Plate Overlay:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bingo.