American Deluxe Precision (current version)... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Dec 21, 2013.

1. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Hi all

I'm just wondering how owners of the current Am Dlx P (with the single-coil J) are getting on with them?

Any issues with noise? I'm also wondering if the P pup solo'd in passive mode give a true classic P tone...?

What sort of weights are these coming in at?

Thanks, all - I'm considering picking one up.
  2. Catbuster

Catbuster

The Jazz is a humcanceler-no noise issues. The P sounds... Like P when you use the split alone. Build and hardware is excellent. They play excellently too. I would love to have the scratch for one.
  3. panamonte

panamonte

Hi,

I've had one for just under three years. It gets more play than any of my other basses, both in and out of the house.

I've never experienced any of the shielding/noise problems that I've read about elsewhere, although from what I can gather I think this may have been more of an issue with the Am Dlx J bassses.

Just stuck it on the scales and it looks like it's just a fraction under 10lbs.

The stock P pick up gives what I guess you could describe as a more 'modern' P tone - it doesn't quite have the woodiness and thump that I think of as a 'classic' P tone. I swapped it out for a 62 RI p/up earlier this year and put a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in the bridge position, but that's just personal preference and there's nothing inherently wrong with the stock pickups.

I use it passive a lot of the time, but I don't have any complaints about the preamp although IMO it responds best to slight tweaks from the detent position rather than dramatic boosts and cuts.

In essence, a very comfortable and enjoyable bass to play. Get your mitts on one and see what you think.
  4. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Great - thanks!

What's the neck like? I'm hoping it's a chunky C like my 71P..?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. panamonte

panamonte

Not quite sure about the difference between old and modern C profiles, but I'd certainly characterise it as a chunky neck. I find it stupidly comfortable to play anyway!
  7. P Town

P Town Guest

I bought an Am Dlx P in late 2011. I liked it so much that I bought the J last year. Both are natural ash/maple. They both look beautiful. They are very acoustically resonant. Both weigh 9.6 lbs, (on an accurate scale). The necks have proven to be very stable, and have required almost no seasonal adjustment. This could be in part due to the CF rods in the neck. I play it passive quite a bit, and the P pickup soloed, is not identical to earlier P pickups, but still sounds good to me. The range of tones you can get out of these is quite broad. The workmanship on the necks is top notch. I can't say that I would have noticed that the neck is a compound radius, but it must be part of why these basses seem to be about the best playing that I have ever tried. I put flats on the P after a few months. I love both of them, but I think I like the P just a little better. I highly recommend these instruments.
  8. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Thanks, P Town!
  9. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

It'll be with me on Monday. Sunburst, 8.5lbs... :)
  10. P Town

P Town Guest

Cool. Please post some photographs, and tell us what you think of it.

I hope you are as happy with yours, as I continue to be with mine. My experience cost me double, (plus $100), though, because I was so happy with the P, that I had to get the J.
  11. Old Fart

Old Fart

You are waiting for my Dream Bass. Just sayin'....
  12. thebassguy86

thebassguy86

I'm getting a '13 model REAL soon. Nat finish, maple neck. My one complaint - I wish it had block inlays! Otherwise, seemingly beautiful instrument. Sounds great, feels great.

My first bass was an early model Gio Ibanez with the P/J config. I loved the way that sounded - being able to blend the pickups made for a lot of versatility on board. When my local GC got the US Dlx P in, I fell in love.
  13. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

FWIW, I lived with the DLX for a few days... and then sent it back.

Perfectly good bass, but the neck was just too shallow front-to-back for my liking.
  14. RustyCage

RustyCage

a friend of mine owns one with a rosewood fretboard (I liked the maple better) and I got to play it a few times.
    I would recommend this bass to alot of people.
    but there are two downsides.
    1. I personally didn't like the neck
    2. It didn't give me the classic P bass sound I was expecting (and this is something that my Spector Euro 4LX bass with EMG Active P/J pickups also didn't manage to provide).
    But it is a very very solid and special bass and one of my personal favorites by Fender.
    I am getting the American Standard P bass. At the end of the day you should never buy something before trying it for yourself.

Edit: Sorry I now realize that you bought it. best of luck it an amazing bass.