American Precision Deluxe + Bill Lawrence = Remove preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chriscrob, Dec 16, 2013.

?

Should I keep the preamp?

1. No, try some passive aggression.

36 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Yes, you really need 6 knobs and a switch.

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. Don't install the Bill Lawrence set.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. chriscrob

chriscrob

I have a Bill Lawrence P-46 and J-45 to install in my American Precision Deluxe. I've been debating about the best way to do it. I think I want to just remove the preamp with the old pickups. I sort of like having it, but I also like the idea of a simple, passive circuit with just two knobs and a switch (or a blend knob.)

Most of my gigs are with a vintage-sounding swingy throwback band, but I also play in an emo-revival band with some pop-punky parts.

Would you keep the active circuit with the 4 knob look or replace the pre-amp and go with something a bit more classic/classier.

Also, does anyone know where to find a pickguard for a 2012 American Precision Deluxe with only 3 knob holes?
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is the setup you have now versatile? As in, can you get the vintage and edgier punk tones out of what you have? Also. are you running any pedals and or another preamp? I would keep the setup with the most options. Thats just me though. For me, as much versatility as possible is a good thing. But some like the simplicity of two or three or even one knob. As far as the 3 hole P/G, its not that difficult to mod one to your specifications. I would keep the setup with the most options.
  3. pinz

pinz

Sub'd
    Just ordered the same set for my Squier P Bass special with a CV Jazz neck fitted,love the bass,love the TI flats, but not how it sounds even with some new QP's fitted,so out they go.
    Passive all the way for me.
    Keen to hear what people suggest for wiring options.
  4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Media:
    I would do whatever got me that sound I wanted.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Hardwire the EQ bands to stay flat. That gets you the simplicity of fewer controls, and the advantages of buffering.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

how about wiring in a passive switch?
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

I would throw them in with the preamp and see what it sounds like. If you like it, keep it that way. You can always change the electronics down the road.
  9. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1, also keep the Lawrence's you won't do better by changing, just different.
  10. Kael

Kael

I've come to dislike onboard preamps. Passive has more than enough tonal variation. Vol/tone/switch would be plenty IME.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm in a big passive phase right now. I would go that route.
  12. chriscrob

chriscrob

I went ahead and installed it with the preamp. New pickguards cost money---and I was gonna re-do all the pots/etc so I could just leave the whole system intact JIC.

It sounds so much better passive. Oddly, it is also louder. My old pickups weren't. I'll check the batteries. I'm switching back to flats so I'm not gonna take the preamp out until I get them and see if I can make them sound punk enough without shaping it with the preamp.
  13. DanGouge

DanGouge

I've always played passive basses for punk stuff and always thought they sounded fantastic. Don't the newer American P deluxe models have an active/passive switch already? I have a P46 in my Highway 1 and it just kills for everything.