1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

American Special Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark Westfield, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I'm looking into another bass.

What is everybody's take on the American Special Jazz?

I like the slim neck.

Is the Greasebucket circuit worth mentioning?
  2. Li'l D

Li'l D

Yes. There is a slightly different tone then the standard model
  3. Clark Westfield

I'm on the fence between an American Standard, American Special or a Gibson EB.

I have to get to Sam Ash and put my mitts on them.
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I have an American special p that I really like. If you can't get it for around 750-800 new I wouldn't bother paying the full 999$. I see em put them on sale constantly.
  5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I removed the Greasebucket on my Highway One. Didn't like it. Easy fix though and easy to add back in if you wanted to.
  6. Clark Westfield

What is the Greasebucket exactly?

A different capacitor?
  7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Yeah, basically. There is an extra capacitor in the control cavity. It rolls off the highs, without removing the lows. Sounded way to muddy for me.
  8. bassdog

bassdog

I opted for the Am. Std when I was shopping a couple of yrs ago. Didn't want a slim J neck or greasebucket for Jazz bass. Wanted but couldn't get sunburst. Liked the price point. I recently bought a Am. Special P. Like the slim P neck and greasebucket here.

Bob
  9. Clark Westfield

What about the fit and finish?

Is it up to the standards of Talk Bass members?

Is the wood a better selection?

Is the fretwork up to par?

Just hoping it is not an overpriced Standard Jazz bass made in the States.
  10. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've got a 2010 American Special and the neck
    is anything but thin. It's round and chunky on mine.

I love the bass overall but am thinking of sanding down
    the back of the neck to a thinner "C" profile.

Great bass otherwise.

:bassist:
  11. elBandito

elBandito

From my experience with AM specials,

Fit and finish isn't as good as AM std. If you look closely at the body, you can tell, they did less prep before shooting the paint. AM std bodies have much smoother body contours, and AM std have better paint and clear coat. My AM special jazz looks like they didn't sand down the body very well before spraying it. Good wood, but it's obvious they spent less man hours on it.

Again, with the neck, good materials, but just less quality on the finish compared to AM std.

AM special hardwares actually work very well for me. I prefer them over AM std's clunky hardware.

Overall, AM specials have more of a vintage vibe than the AM std.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Same here - I'll typically yank it out, and put a .1uF cap in there for a more vintage sound...

- georgestrings
  13. georgestrings

The ones I've checked out have been very good - on par with the Highway One basses, which are a definite upgrade from a MIM Fender...

- georgestrings
  14. georgestrings

That's the 1st I've ever heard of that - any of them I've checked out have had slightly thinner necks than the standards...

- georgestrings
  15. Mtnman

Mtnman

I have an American Special P and absolutely love it. I have the FSR version with the hand rubbed satin nitro finish. I've seen no construction or fit/finish quality differences between it and the American Standard. To me the major selling point was the neck. The neck has a different profile than the Am. Std. (it is thinner front to back which I love), but it still has the nice fret edges and the graphite support rods.

A couple of mods I made were to remove the Greasebucket; I replicated the '60s tone circuit with an orange drop cap and used Custom Shop '62 pickups. I also replaced the bridge with a BAII. Bear in mind the bass worked fine without the mods, I just like to make my basses my own...

[​IMG]
  16. eno50

eno50 Supporting Member

American Special is a basic bass Jazz or P-bass
    Differences are pickups and hardware...and neck profile...
    If you like the modern upgrades get the American standard for the pice difference it is a better deal ,if you shop around for two to three hunderd dollars difference you get..
    Fender ultra light tuners,60's custom shop pickups,string thru highmass bridge,ATA case.
    The Specials have regular or standard tuners, vintage style bridge, alinco pickups,greasebucket tone control,gigbag.
    Now that is just the difference,It only matters what you like,how it sounds and feels in your hands. Some people like the vintage style basses,I say vintage style really the only thing that is vintage style is the old style tuners and bridge..
    As far as value for you money ,you get more for your money if you go with the standard USA model. when you start to ad up the up grades ,ultralight tuners,highmass bridge,custom shop pups,ATA case and then have the body drilled for string thru..
    After all that being said, the old Fenders that everyone want's were bare bone basses,
    with those cheap bentplate bridges,bigear tuners, regular old pickups, no graphite neck support bars ect...