American Special jazz pups or standard MIM pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Thinking of replacing my MIM jazz bass' stock pickups for a pair of American Special jazz bass pickups. Is it worth it, do you think?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

What year is your MIM Standard Jazz ?? ... if it is an older one (2000 or before), you may need to adapt the bridge cavity size to accept the Am Stand pups ...

Edit to add: .. just checked your profile to see your MIM Stand is a 2001 .. better measure to make sure that the bridge pup is about a half inch longer than the neck pup ...

3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

My mim is currently stored away at my church ready to play for a pageant tomorrow so I can't measure it now. I installed dp149 pups once and the measurements were a perfect match with the recommended measurements in dimarzios website. :p

Regardless of what pups I use my tech21 bass driver is the main guy that produced my gritty bassy sound.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

If you installed the DP149's in this bass, you should be fine for the conventional longer bridge J pup set-up ...

...when you ask if it is 'worth it' to replace the stock ceramic in the MIM Stand with another Fender stock alnico, only you can really answer that depending on what you want to achieve. In essence you are replacing a $17 pup with a $30 pup (+/-) ... Ceramic pups are generally a bit harsher, brighter, may be perceived as louder ... tonally, EQ'ing may equalize those differences though. Without checking, I would have to guess that the AmSpec is using the same 58358/9 pup set that was used in the Hwy One that it replaced. These should also be in the Classic Series 60's Jazz, and probably the Fender Road Worn Jazz .. so if you get the chance to evaluate these basses also, you should be able to determine compared to what you have in the stock MIM Standard (58294/5 set) to determine if it would be worth it to you...

... I have a MIM Standard Jazz that I leave stock for the benefits a ceramic pup offers, and a few Jazz's that use the alnico set you are inquiring about ... I generally prefer the alnico's in most cases ... JMHO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

No I took out the dp149s because I didn't like them.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

My comment was since the DP149's fit into your bass, that meant your bass had the conventional Fender routing of bridge longer than neck (meaning forget my suggestion to measure before you purchase) ... it had nothing to do with their performance ;)