American Special Jazz Vs. Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsonic77, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jsonic77

jsonic77

I found an American Special Jazz 2011 for a good price and I'm wondering how it compares to the Geddy Lee. It has Alnico lipstick pups vs the single-coil on the Geddy.

Anyone know any other significant differences or can explain the pup comparison?
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

"lipstick" pickups?

they both have regular vintage jazz pickups stock, with the geddy's maybe being a bit nicer.

either way, pickups are easy to swap out; the special has the terrific american standard neck with the graphite rods and the thicker headstock though, which to me makes it the winner.
  3. jsonic77

jsonic77

So is the Geddy neck shaped differently than the "terrific" standard neck? And why are the rods important? One thing that attracted me to the Geddy was the "agility" of the special neck...
  4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Preference (for me) would be the Geddy (MIJ or MIM even) over the AM Special Jazz. The AM Special neck is thinner than Fender's usual Modern C, but it still isn't as "fast" as the Geddy or as thin. On the plus side, you get a BAII bridge (+$60 profit on resale if you don't like it), the 70s bridge pup placement (more growl and a bridge cover will completely hide it), the bound and blocked inlay neck (pure sexy), and a glossy neck (easily fixed by rubbing steel wool if you don't like it).

The AM Special has a regular bridge pup position and a Greasebucket tone system which people are VERY mixed about. Some like it, some hate it, and others don't even play Fenders and could care less about it. Try before you buy, but if you must buy blind, get the Geddy - USED!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

How come?
  7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Besides all the reasons I've listed above, buying used is cheaper... supposedly. :eyebrow:
  8. Tupac

Tupac

Oh I see, in case he doesn't like it. Duh :rolleyes:
  9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Oh he'll like it. It has his signature on it - HIS SIGNATURE! :eek: