1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

American Standard Precision a good choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waster, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Waster

Waster

Hey TB,

I've been searching for an upgrade from my current bass (OLP MM2). After looking at various fancy active/extended range basses, I've realised that what I really want is the good ol' P-bass. My dad reckons that I should wait until I can afford an American Standard, as this will be my long-term main bass (he plays an American Standard Telecaster, so is slightly biased haha).
    What I'm wondering is; Are there any alternatives to the US Standard that I should be considering? I'm thinking of Lakland, Sandberg etc, but am really not sure. Below I'll lay out some requirements for this bass.

Thanks!
    Connor

Requirements;
    -Precision body shape and pickquard
    -21 or 22 maple neck, standard nut-width etc
    -Four string
    -Available in black or sunburst finish
    -Jazz bridge pick-up is a plus, but doesn't really matter as I can add one later if I so wish

Basically a normal P-bass, nothing fancy. Thanks!

2. K73

K73

Maybe check out Warmoth if you think you're up to putting the bass together yourself, although if all you're after is a relatively standard P then I don't think you can really go wrong with an American Standard. Having said that, Lakland offers very nice alternatives in a similar price range. Try to play an AmStd. and any alternative that you're considering before you think about putting any cash down.

3. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

If you think you might want a jazz PU by the bridge, you can also consider American Deluxe Precision.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

You won't be disappointed with an Am Std P. The newer ones (2008 and newer) have a couple of nice added features: higher-mass bridge, lighter-weight tuners, satin finish neck. They are also generally considered to have more consistent build quality. I love mine. But, yeah, you should probably try to locate a Lakland somewhere that you can try out so you have something to compare.

7. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

if you buy now, a lot of sellers are clearing out the AVRI precisions for less than the American standards. I just got a '62 Olympic White reissue for 1099 brand new.

8. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Get the American Standard.

Then, one day save up and buy a Lakland USA Glaub with the 1.625 or 1.5 nut width. The Skylines are very nice but can be heavy and the necks aren't in the same league with the USA Laklands.

So, between a Skyline Glaub and a new American Standard P, go for the Fender as a lifetime purchase. This is from someone who owns a Lakland USA Glaub (with the 1.5 neck) an has owned a Skyline Duck Dunn and a 2011 Am Std P. The only reason I got rid of the Fender is that I'm a 1.5 neck guy, not a 1.625 neck guy, but the bass rocked in all other aspects. So if the Am Std P, feels good in your hands, then go for it. Also, you really don't need the J bridge PU and I wouldn't mod an Am Std, but that's just me.

9. kander

kander

An American Std. P is a great choice. I'd also look at G&L.

10. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

To be honest, American Standard isn't *that* hot. They have a good chance to come out great but they try hard to keep a quality distance to the AVRI. Namely, the finish on the Am Std feels cheap to me. Many years have string-through body which isn't in the original design (for split pickup Precisions). They have a poly finish although it appears to be reasonably thin. Some years have rosewood board and still a skunk stripe, a strict no-no in my opinion. The pickups are good but could be better.

So it's a solid buy but they make sure you long for the AVRI.

I would play a Road Worn also, and the Mexican reissues (called '50s).

The American Deluxe is overpriced, IMHO.

11. Waster

Waster

Thanks all for your advice! It seems like the American Standard is the way to go, although I'll play what I can.

Connor

12. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

I started with an old stock 70's P bass (wish I kept it) Have been through (this last year after discovering TalkBass)-Lakland Skylines-Stingray-Spector Euro-Warwick Corvette and Thumb (awesome tone-heavy)-P-deluxes-Jazz Deluxes and standards- Recently Picked up a 2003 P with a maple neck for 500$-threw in a set of Dimarzio P pickups for 58$ and I cant put it down! It sounds sicker, slicker and ballsier than Both my 2011 American Deluxe P and Jazz!! Theyre hard to beat my man--hard to beat! You can change em up easy-any way you like for minimal dough..and they become "new" to you! Good luck-happy hunting!

13. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They are a great bass, I absolutely love mine.

14. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

Disclosures:
    I practice a lot but still suck.
    My only experience with a Precision style bass is my G&L SB-1, which I absolutely love.

15. mcm

mcm

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

I was about to post this! While only the SB-2 is listed on the website, G&L does still sell the SB-1 - and it's a doozy. I think you should check out one of these before you lock yourself in on an MIA Fender. It's Leo's update to his own classic design! And available with a selection of neck shapes if you buy direct...

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

Can't go wrong with an Am. Std. Bass.

18. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

How much better is an American Standard than a Standard? I believe you get Custom Shop pick ups I'm the Am.

19. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

20. awilkie84

awilkie84

I just got an American Standard Precision Bass 5-string. It's a 2011 model and I LOVE it.
    It's light, the finish is thin and the tone is huge.
    Just used it at my first practice last night & the tone fit perfectly.
    I wasn't taking anyone else's space in the mix and the sound complimented our acoustic very well.

21. A_Librarian

A_Librarian

While specs can easily look good in writing, it may be worthwhile to go to stores and try out everything you can. Every bass will sound and feel different--even if they're the same make+model.