1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

American Standard Precision wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 17, 2014.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone could explain the purpose of the wire hooked up to the screw in the body. I knew this was common in cavities that had shielding paint, but what purpose does it serve in an unshielded cavity? Wouldn't the typical P bass wiring suffice? Thanks.
  2. petrus61

3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i kinda wondered that about mine too.
  4. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Maybe that little screw and wire connect the shielding paint to the electrical ground.
  5. petrus61

But there's no shielding paint. Maybe the metallic finish?
  6. line6man

line6man

Ground screws serve absolutely no purpose in unshielded instruments, unless they are being used as a point to connect many grounds in a star configuration. That is not the case here, however.
  7. petrus61

That's what I figured. I wasn't sure if there was a remote chance it had something to do with the paint. It makes me wonder...if my 2012 isn't shielded in the cavity, than why the hell are Fender wasting wire on this config? There's an additional wire from jack that isn't in the photo as well. I kept looking at the wiring and wondering why it was the way it was.
  8. line6man

line6man

Are you sure that it isn't shielded? Perhaps they painted the body after shielding?
  9. petrus61

Is that an accepted practice? If so, that would be the explanation I suppose. The underside of the PG has the usual strip of foil, than the extra wire leading from jack to tone (or vise versa) and the ground lug. Is it possible to apply shielding paint under a normal paint job?
  10. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I believe all U.S. model are shielded. So I suspect they in fact painted over it. You could easily check by scraping a little paint off and see if its black underneath.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it is indeed shielded under the paint, so leave that grounding screw attached to do its job.
  12. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

thank you sir. i guess the paint helps protect the shielding . good thinking imo.
  13. pfox14

pfox14

Why would you paint over the shielding paint. That makes absolutely no sense.
  14. petrus61

Couldn't the bridge ground wire be directly soldered to the tone pot? In this setup, the bridge wire runs to the jack, than another wire is run from the jack to the pot. Is there a benefit to this setup over directly soldering the bridge ground to the tone pot?
  15. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Beacuse it's quicker/cheaper/easier, typical Fender MO.

They don't have to be so neat about applying the shielding paint, and the completed job looks better/prettier.