American standard vs American special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mossiebass, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

What's the difference? Why am I paying 300EUR extra for the Standard?

2. progrmr

progrmr

^^ this is the most useless post on TB

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Most useless? Id say theres a good amount of info in that post.

4. capncal

capncal

doesn't explain really the difference in the Standard and the Deluxe. it's a fair questions. I've an American Standard myself. Not really sure the big difference either, other than I thought the Deluxe had an extra J style pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    If the money isn't a problem get the American Standard. If it is an issue, wait and look for a used American Standard.

7. Gravy4001

Gravy4001

Looks like the big differences are the High Mass Vintage bridge, the Hipshot tuners, and the kickass hard case.

8. capncal

capncal

oh sorry, the special. not deluxe. my bad. i guess that's almost the difference in a Toyota Camry and a Lexus. Same company, but one is just nicer!

9. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

10. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Good amount of info does not equal useful. That post is just the specs of each copied and pasted in a functionally useless format.

A better answer would say things like the standard comes with a hard shell case while the special has a gig bag. They have different pickups and the wiring is different (special has greasebucket tone circuit). The hardware is different. This from looking at them side by side from the MF description of Jazz basses.

11. dasbusking

dasbusking

The biggest difference in my opinion is the Slim C vs. the Modern C. There is a huge difference in the feel of these two neck profiles. You really need to try to get your hands on both. While shopping P basses I found out I really hated the Slim C neck, enough, in fact that I ponied up the extra $$$ to go to the american Standard. If the slim c neck works for you the Special might save you a little cash. For the p bass models the Standard had an included hard-case and the Special only came with a bag

12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I'm sorry, I can't help you much with the American Standard. I currently use the MIA 57, 62 and the MIM Antigua Precisions.

I CAN however, tell you a little about the American Special, and it might help you with your decision.

I recently picked up this American Special:

[​IMG]

and fell completely in love with it. It is, by far (and for the price) the best offering (IMO) that Fender has produced in some years. I've recently modded it sligtly by adding white PUP covers in place of the black ones and I get a TON of compliments! I now reach for it, before the more expensive AV models...This particula model can be had for about $700...

[​IMG]

As I said earlier, I don't have a lot of experience with the Standards, and I'm quite surethat they are fine, but perhaps someone with a Standard can now chime in and let you know what is what with them!

Good luck in your search!!

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Both are fine basses, but the American Standard has better pickups, pots, tuners, finish, and hard case. This is what cost the extra money. Only the buyer knows if this is "worth" paying for. It is to me.

14. Tupac

Tupac

I probably wouldn't get the Standard because of the chunky neck, especially when I want a jazz style bass.

15. ahc

ahc

Fender.com lists the specs.

16. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Biggest differences as far as feel go, are going to be the thinner neck depth and lighter weight (in general) on the Special compared to the Standard.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Why?:confused: pretty fair question IMO.

If this is the most useless, you haven't been around long. There have been some really stupid posts here over the years.

In any case, the American Standard has a better bridge, case, tuners, pickups, finished headstock, more colour options (only 4 for the Special and 16 for the Standard) and doesn't have the greasebucket tone circuit, which many hate.

Both are nice, but the Standard is worth the extra $$$ IMO. Look at the Special as the new Hwy1 from a price/feature standpoint.

18. exidor

exidor

I'm picking up a special this week my main reasons I love the neck & the ones I've played so far,are super light and that candy apple red w/ maple neck I can't get it out of my head.

19. dasbusking

dasbusking

The special still has a P-bass nut width but the neck feels like it is half as tall if that makes sense... It felt very wide and flat compared to the Modern C shape to me.

20. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Media:
    The American Special has the same hardware and pickups as the Mexican made Standard series. I played a Special next to an American Standard P-Bass and although the Special was nice it wasn't as nice (to me) as the American Standard. Some people like the Specials fine as they come but they struck me as a platform for upgrades and I didn't think they are as cool as the Highway 1 series they replaced.

21. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

Hardware, string through body, high mass bridge and hard shell case.