1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

American Vintage '63 P Bass with an A-Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a new American Vintage '63 P Bass with an A-Neck. Quite an amazing instrument and I'm starting to think a unique one. All the specs I can find on this bass says C-Neck and the other two hanging on the wall at L&M both have C-Necks. I can't find any evidence that this bass should exist with an 1 1/2" nut. Anyone know know the story?...have an educated guess?...a creative line of BS?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. marc40a

marc40a

Did you buy new or used?

Think it got swapped at some point?

3. Jeff Bonny

Brand new from an authorized dealer. The guy who sold it to me unpacked a few days ago and that's the way it came from Fender. He hadn't noticed it until I did and was as surprised as I was.

4. bh2

bh2

Oh My! Sonic blue goodness me!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christopherogut

christopherogut

wow, very cool goof! i'd be all over that...

7. droskobass

droskobass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    I came across an American standard jazz bass new in store that had a P bass width neck. it's rare but what you have is an error why it happens is a mystery, but very very very rarely basses like this get out of the factory..

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Very cool. Someone grab the wrong neck at the factory.
    There is no option for a 1.5" neck.
    I like the standard C P- neck on mine. Also Sonic Blue.
    That's a keeper.

9. Eric66

Eric66

I would return it immediately.

10. pedroims

pedroims

What is difference between an A and C neck?

11. StevieMac

StevieMac

A = 1.5" at the nut. C = 1.75"

12. oboylebass

oboylebass

There is no possible way this is a 'mistake'. They new it had a C width neck when if passed through Q/C and they just let it go out that way figuring plenty of players like this neck shape. You know how many sets of hands this bass passed through at the Fender factory before they shipped it out? I mean think about it!

13. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

It happens, a while back there, before the new AVRI basses were announced, there was a '58-'64 AVRI telecaster on ebay. The body of a '58 (blonde ash) with the neck of a '64 (veneer rosewood), came from the factory like that. Human error, it happens.

14. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Cool mistake, although I believe you can have an American Standard built this way too if you order one at the factory tour. But I don't know about an AV.

15. Jeff Bonny

I was saying the same thing to someone a few minutes ago...there's no way someone didn't notice at the factory. The guy who signed off on it must have let it go that way knowing it would give someone like me a major thrill. Thinking about it more though it most likely started as a mistake. These things are really period correct and an A-neck P wasn't a factory option until what, the early '70's?

16. oboylebass

oboylebass

It's kinda like an easter egg on your favorite DVD or something.

17. revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce Supporting Member

Don't think for a second that Fender doesn't make mistakes in manufacturing. They do, and frequently. Sometimes they work out well for the buyer, sometimes not. Factories are factories.

18. oboylebass

oboylebass

Maybe a couple a guys working late one night decided it would be funny to slap a J bass neck on a P bass...point is, we'll never know for sure.

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Today their control is tighter, but back then it wasn't. One of my first basses have a deep V profile on it (I had this bass around 80-82 or so and it was well used even then). I spoke to Chip Todd about it and he said that the V neck wasn't intentional but rather the guy who would rough sand the necks sometimes would get heavy handed resulting in that profile. With that in mind it wouldn't surprise me if a P neck was over sanded, or if they were low on P necks that they wouldn't put a J neck on a bass to meet an order.

20. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    This might be a collector piece in 26 years

21. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Sweet! I would be giddy.

I can play a C, B, or A neck, but prefer a B or A. I'd be excited at how rare it is, plus I LOVE these Sonic Blue P's!

Sell it to me here in about 6 months :)