American Vintage Reissue's - Show 'em if ya got 'em.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9mmMike, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

American Vintage Reissue's - Show 'em if ya got 'em.

Since it is a PITA to search for AV or RI or 57 or 62 etc.....

Not necessarily a club but maybe we could post up some pics of some AV RI's? Fullertons welcome although they already have their own thread.

I really like these basses. For me, they are the next best thing to a Custom Shop and a good bang for the buck, used ones especially. It would be especially nifty to see some in the older colors as all they are currently offering is the "White Blonde" and "2-Tone Sunburst".

Mine main bass is the '57 P (2001) in Dakota Red that is in my avatar. Sooner or later I will post a real "hosted" pic in this thread.
    I got mine for Christmas and it is just perfect (for me). I still enjoy my other basses at home but this is the one I take to the gig. Other than the staplocks, it is stock.

Please show us your AV RI's and list any mods or any opinions or whatever.

FYI -

Got this from our friends at Fender:

Not sure if it applies to all RI's or just the AV '57's though.

DISCONTINUED COLORS:

(806) Black, 1/2007,

(824) Inca Silver, 1/2002,

(854) Dakota Red, 1/2002,

(883) Ice Blue Metallic, 1/2002,

(809) Candy Apple Red, 1/2001

Odd that they did not list Fiesta Red as I thought that was an early option.
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

How about a Lake Placid Blue VS '62 Precison. It came into the store I managed in early April 1983, and I bought it April 15, 1983. She's been my constant companion ever since...

Me playing her later that summer...
    [​IMG]

A posed full frontal shot of her...[​IMG]

And a shot of her with her sisters... [​IMG]

And this is what happens when you play the same bass for most of 26 years...
    [​IMG]

PS. The correct terminology is "Vintage Series". Fender did at one time have a series they called "Reissue Series", around 1990. They were essentially the Standard Series instruments of the time with slight cosmetic changes to make them look old. They were made in Japan, had the same cheap crappy pots and electronics as the Standard Series, but had yellowed poly finish on the necks, and came in a few old-style colors. They were a rather poor attempt to create what the "Classic Series" is now. The problem is that while "reissue" is a common and useful term, it can cause confusion. If someone buys a "Reissue Series" instrument expecting a "Vintage Series", they'll be either sorely disappointed, or think we're daft for extolling the virtues of our reissues.

Also, Fender originally called the US ones simply "Vintage Series". There was at the same time a "Japanese Vintage Series" made in Japan, but not for import to the US. These are not the same as the short-lived "Reissue Series" either, but very good reproductions of the classic Fenders. FMIC changed the name to "American Vintage" at some point after I quit paying attention.

Also, the original Vintage Series colors were Black, Olympic White, Sunburst (2-tone for the '57 and 3-tone for the '62 instruments), Candy Apple Red, Feista Red, Lake Placid Blue, and the clear butterscoth finish that only came on the original Vintage Series isntrument, the '52 Telecaster guitar. The '52 Tele was introduced well before the rest of the Vintage Series, and they shipped them pretty quickly too. Then the introduced two Stratocasters, two Precisions, and a Jazz Bass to the series. The Precisons and Strats were available as '57s or '62, and the Jazz was a '62. They chose '62 because that was the year they changed from the slab board to the laminated fingerboard. It gave them the option of changing the reissues from slab to laminated if they found they had neck stability problems (the slabs are cheaper to make, BTW). Even though most real 1962 Jazz basses had the V/V/T controls they chose to keep the stack knob set up to help make a visual distinction between the VS and the regular instruments.

We recieved two '52 Teles, one before the rest of the VS was isntroduced. Our first order of VS instruments were for one each of the instruments. We ordered the two Strats in the 'burst, the '57 P in burst (I ordered that for myself becasue it looked like Duck Dunn's bass!!), the '62 Jazz in black, and the '62 P in Lake Placid Blue. About nine months later (or sixteen months- I don't recall if we ordered them at the January 1982 NAMM or the July '82 NAMM) Fender finally shipped a huge pile of back-orders to stores. We got 25 new Fenders in one day- and our total stock of guitars was probably around 100. I spent the whole morining just opening boxes, then opeing the case to make sure the instrument in the case was what the box and the packing list said (they screwed up occasionally). I'd pull the isntrument out, tune it up real quick, play for a second, and put it back in the case.

Then I opened up the LPB P bass, and thought the color was a bit too gaudy for me. But I played one note on the bass unamplified and she said "Hi, honey- I'm home!!!"

I had to buy her.

jte
  3. MartinBe

MartinBe

Here are my two American Vintage basses, one 62' RI Olympic White Jazz and my 62' Ri Sunburst Precision. Gotta love 'em!

JTE: Nice P-bass!

Attached Files:

4. 9mmMike

Good stuff there JTE. Thanks.
    Is it safe to say that all the "Vintage Series" have a Vnnnnnn neck plate?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pyrohr

pyrohr

MIA FSR 75RI jazz.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Osztertag2112 likes this.
  7. 9mmMike

Is that CAR? It is sweet-looking.

Those ashtrays on the Jazzes always look huge.
  8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Yes it is! :D
  9. rayzak

rayzak

Well, I don't own this anymore. Should have kept it, it was a player.
    '99(I believe) '57RI P.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I too love the RI series Fender basses.
  10. Theo-cantor-

Theo-cantor-

Some of my RI's
    Theo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Fender32

Fender32

Don't own it any more, but I still have the pictures :D ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Wish I had a '75 Jazz to post in here. I think you're right, next to the CS, or American Deluxe models, there's nothing better, (by Fender).
  13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

My new american vintage 57 P is the best P I've ever played. Plus they have the best neck tint that fender makes and it's all nitro. MMMmmm. Great Bass.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

My first American Vintage Reissue was a '62 P-Bass in sunburst. I also owned a '57 P in white (like the one Rayzak posted). Unfortunately, I no longer have them, and don't have pics of them. I do, however, still own my AV '75 Reissue Jazz which I got in 2000. Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. GC4

GC4

Simply beautiful.
    My next bass will be 2 tone sunburst with a maple fretboard. Just have to find it.
  16. Valerus

Valerus

This thread = GAS!!
  17. xray

xray

Simply beautiful. Nice GAS attack.
  18. 9mmMike

[​IMG]

That neck tint is fantastic.
  19. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I too think the RI's are great. Here's my '88 MIA '62RI Precision complete with slab board and huge woody tone that's very true to the originals. To me it's a "new" vintage bass in every respect except price. I love it.
  20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

American Vintage Series Jazzes:
    '84 62RI
    '03 75RI limited edition

[​IMG]
  21. mads Ege

mads Ege

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.