Americans of Scottish extraction - not allowed to eat haggis?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jan 25, 2013.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'm a Glaswegian living in CA.

I've tried Haggis twice, and it's most definitely not for me, with out without sheep lung.
  3. BassyBill

Media:
    Yeah - from that article, it seems like its the lungs content that stops it being available over there. Heart and liver, no problem.

I spent a really weird but fun night in a bar on Santa Monica Blvd. a few years back - the only people in there were me, my gf and a mad Glaswegian barman. He got us drinking Red Bull and Jagermeister all night. It wasn't you was it? :eek:
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Funny you should mention Haggis. I have a friend who's the plays bag pipes for a cool pro band named "Bad Haggis"
    He had to explain to me what haggis was. I said no thanks to eating the stuff.

Side Note: If you want to hear some awesome Celtic fusion here is a link to Bad Haggis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassyBill

Media:
    I'm not Scottish (i.e. I wasn't born in Scotland) or of Scottish descent, but I do like me some haggis - it's very tasty stuff. I can get it down here in England in most supermarkets these days.
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Can't beat the great chieftain, though I do find it funny that its banned in the US.
  8. tastybasslines

Near the pier? Ye Old's King Head?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ye-olde-kings-head-santa-monica#query:British Pub

I used to have a raucous good time there. They have a fantastic Beatles cover band there on the regular for many, many years. Also, one of the places you want to go for football (not American). I haven't been there in many many years since I don't drink anymore.
  9. tastybasslines

I used to go out with this 4.0 GPA blond girl from UCLA. When we were dating, she asked me what a haggis was. I told her that it is a rare Scottish mountain goat that lives way up in the highlands and that over the years, it's adapted and it's 2 left legs are shorter than it's right legs so it can run around the mountain top better. She fell for it hook, line and sinker. "Oh really? Wow.." It took every ounce of me to keep in the laughter, but couldn't and I just burst out laughing.
  10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    One of the funnier exchanges I have heard regarding haggis ::p

"Ramirez: Haggis? What is haggis?
    Connor MacLeod: Sheep's stomach, stuffed with meat and barley.
    Ramirez: And what do you do with it?
    Connor MacLeod: You eat it.
    Ramirez: How revolting!"
  11. BassyBill

Media:
    No, it wasn't there. The bar I went to was about two miles east of there, about halfway back to where the 405 crosses SMB, on the north side. Can't remember the name of it.

EDIT - found it. McCabe's.

http://goo.gl/maps/v98tW
  12. BassyBill

Media:
    Ha! I like it. But I guess although we're all "Bilateria" in terms of symmetry, natural selection can do some funny things to that. Take a look at any bottom dwelling fish where they've evolved to have both eyes on one side of their head. That always freaks me out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatfish#Evolution

No matter how weird your imagination is, nature will always have come up with something weirder. Sci-fi writers have always struggled with this. The first time I saw "Alien", I sat thinking "Pfft - so what else is new?" Still a great movie, though.

/biology lesson
  13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

Hah!:D
  14. Avalon

Avalon

Hey Bassy Bill, (or anyone else who knows the answer to this) I shall find myself in London during the first week of February and was wondering what establishment I might stop by to try out some real haggis. I have a pretty broad palate when it comes to trying new things, so I shouldn't think that the sheeps lung would be too offputting for me. The only meat that i have ever disliked is tripe (stomach). However, it might not have been properly prepared since it was at a Korean Hibachi place and I cooked it myself.

Now, I do understand that traditional haggis is served in a stomach, but I think I can get passed that. As I've seen it, most people are just eating the pudding from the stomach and not the stomach itself. I have eaten scrapple (a Pennsylvania Dutch meat scrap pudding of sorts) and I find it quite tastey. Assuming you have tried it, would haggis bear any simlarity to scrapple?

So anyway, any thoughts on what establishment I should look for while in London?
  15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

There's a band that plays around here called "Enter the Haggis". Kind of a rockin bagpipe thing.

I've never tried eating lung. (When I go hunting the idea is to destroy them, so even had it occurred to me, it probably wouldn't have been practical)

My dog loves smoked bits of lamb lung. It's a commercial dog treat here, apparently the one thing they can sell the lungs for.
  16. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I'm not Scottish either and although I quite enjoy a nice haggis, I didn't eat any on Friday night.

I did drink a lot of Balvenie though does that count?

My head has just about recovered, my liver will catch up eventually.
  17. delta7fred

delta7fred

I was on a business trip in Edinburgh one Burns night and thought it would be downright disrespectful not to have it, with neeps and taties of course.

When it came there was also a double scotch with it. I protested to the waiter that there was a strict "no alcohol on the meal bill" policy with the company I worked for. He reassured me that the scotch was part of the meal and definitely would not appear on the bill. Probably the nicest tasting blended scotch I have ever drunk.
  18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I've had haggis in Canada, but to be honest I don't know exactly what was in it. It was great every time.
  19. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Not "allowed" to eat haggis??? No, we're allowed to eat haggis. We can't buy it with lung so we must make it ourselves (I do), but we're allowed to eat it. Personally, I love it, but I was trained as a chef at the Marine Hotel in Troon, so I know how to make it properly.
  20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

No mint in haggis is there?
  21. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    No...

Okay, I admit it, you lost me on that one. Unless it's a reference to where I live.